The D Programming Language

Started by
10 comments, last by 49studebaker 20 years, 9 months ago
Has anyone here ever program using the D programming language. I was just wondering what are your thoughts on the langauge. Is it easy to learn compared to C++ or other languages? If you have never heard of the D programming language check out the website below. http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html
Advertisement
quote:""It seems to me that most of the "new" programming languages fall into one of two categories: Those from academia with radical new paradigms and those from large corporations with a focus on RAD and the web. Maybe its time for a new language born out of practical experience implementing compilers."" -- Michael

Pass, thanks. Languages are supposed to support and aid the programmer, not to make life easier for the compiler writer. This is exactly the reason why we still have the annoying .h/.cpp file splitting in C++.
If this is the same D that was talked about in the giant ''whats wrong with c''(paraphrased because I don''t remeber exact title) thread, then it sounded like a nice language. At first, I had the standard ''why do you need those features'' reaction, but as I started learning lisp it became clear how many of the features could be very usefull (such as closures and first class functions). Since so many people ignore the power of lisp(and other powerful languages like python), it could be good to bring such primitive and usefull constructs to the masses.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Actually after looking at the comparisons between D, C, C++, C#, and Java, D doesn''t seem to just have been developed to make life easier on the compiler writer. It actually just looks like C++, with some of the C feature drown out. It also introduces some things that I''ve only seen in Pascal familiy languages like function nesting and array splicing. It also says it supports dynamic scoping which, i don''t see much use for, but I''m sure its gotta be useful for something.
I would love to use D if it didn''t force garbage collection on the programmer (or at least go through hoops to avoid it).
daerid@gmail.com
its a great language, and one of the small amount of gc-languages wich give you much access to it. gc in d is plain and simple nothing hurting. you can disable it by writing for example a baseclass class ManualMemoryManaging, or simply using malloc/free yourself (they''re just c-functions, you can use''m)

it allows you to disable gc-processing, and gc-collect in a bunch later, etc, quite handy for time-critical parts.

i just never got glu32.lib working with the d-linker... don''t know why and somehow it made me move away from it.. waiting till 1.00 and some nice working ide..

but its definitely THE language where i dropped my eye on, and it never came really back..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

It looks too much like C++. Since it can''t compile C directly, the author should''ve designed it with a new, better syntax, from scratch. Like, use type inference, Python''s indentation blocks, a more clever for loop (I like iterators like in Python and Ruby), better metaprogramming abilities.. Now it''s just way too unoriginal.
If it was more like python or ruby, it wouldn''t be any more original... ... ...
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
quote:Original post by Extrarius
If it was more like python or ruby, it wouldn''t be any more original... ... ...
Your reading or comprehension ability is lacking.
My main problem with D is that it doesn''t get away from several of the ways people are "bitten" by C.

http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/topten.html

Having been bitten by almost all of those listed, I was actively looking for something else. (I was bitten by the "Unidentified Order of Side Effects" between compiler versions recently...)

I mean, who the he!! uses octal nowadays? [grin]

RomSteady - I play games for a living.
Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual EntertainmentI used to play SimCity on a 1:1 scale.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement