Beta Test Documents

Started by
3 comments, last by MJ32 20 years, 9 months ago
Hi All, We are going to start out sourcing testing of our games shortly and need to try and unify the process with one form / report for the testers to fill in. Does anyone have a good template or url to a resource which would help create a doc ? All the best Mike
Advertisement
Unfortunatley i am not aware of any resource you have asked about, but it sounds pretty simple.
If you are beta testing for bugs then prepeare a form with the following entries:
*bug description
*type of bug (gfx/network/sound/etc)

And if you are beta testing for gameplay and ideas (balancing)
then prepeare a form where testers could fill info about
balance problems, suggestions and ideas...

Good luck with your project.
My suggestion is to let the testers check for bugs and other game issues. No feedback is negative for you, but you should focus on which part of the testing is actually more nessecary. At the end of a game production it is too late to better the game design in main issues or to overthink and implement new ideas, but you will want to have your game as bugfree as possible. On the other site, you can test for the fun and acceptance of the base ideas of the game by creating and testing prototypes. Thereby you will be not interested in bugs but in if the players will have fun and buy the game.
If you check for bugs, I suggest to communciate regulary about founded bugs and alls depending information, so that no bug is explored and investigated far mor than once.
How you probably know yourself, that the test reports are written is very neccessary. For second, nobody of the real developers (meaning any team members developing the game by more than testing) is able to really test the game on other than development and bugfixing issues, because they are too much involved. Trust the critical opinions of your testers more than your not critical view on your beloved game.
Cheers Guys,

I''ll make a specific form from scratch - seems like the best plan!

Many thanks for the advice!

Mike
You nedd to find bug and then you need to track their status. The two items suggested by AP are fine....

*bug description
*type of bug (gfx/network/sound/etc)

But you also need to know
*version number - what version of prog did it appear in.
*status - is it new, reoccured (old bug come back), assigned (to someone for fixing), needs testing (fixed but needs testing to check), fixed (has been checked for X time without reoccuring) or closed (wont be fixed).
*tester - who found it. Important in case u need to ask for more details
* bug number - assigning a number makes it easier to list the bugs that need testing. Just telling the testers to check for A101, A107, B42, B91 is much easier that trying to name each bug.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement