Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kelaklub

A good start.

Hi I am currently working as an AutoCAD ObjectARX programmer, but I really wanna sometime down the line get into games and graphics. In AutoCAD we use alot of custom made point and vector classes that make our life easier, as for games i am more interested in the 3d engine design aspect of it. Is it to my benefit to create my own customized classes to deal with entities like points or vectors, etc., or just use something that is currently available. Thank you. Dipinder Sidhu

I don''t know about DirectX, but OpenGL only works with groups of raw numbers (floats, ints, etc.) although it does maintain things like points, vectors, and matrices on the graphics side of things. It would be in your best interest to write some classes to handle this stuff, especially if you want your physics handling code to look even remotely sane.

Yeah I use OpenGL, and I prefer to manage all my vectors and matrices and whatnot on my own. OpenGL gives you some support for these things, but not a lot of freedom. There''s no OpenGL matrix or vector classes, and it can be really nice to have those.

From what I understand, DirectX *does* have a matrix class (maybe a vector class too), so you might not need to redefine those if you''re using it. But if I were using DirectX I would probably make my own matrix class anyway, because I consider that kind of stuff fun.