Mirus game engine problem. (From "Game Programming - All in One") Need Help

Started by
5 comments, last by Reznor504 20 years, 9 months ago
Maybe someone familiar with the ''Mirus'' game engine could help me out a bit. I am having trouble displaying bitmap images to the screen through the usage of ABO objects. I''ve played around with it and came to this conclusion: I can only display images that have a width and hieght of a power of 2. When I try to load a 63x63 image, it shows up as a white square (on a black background). If I open the same image in Photoshop Pro 7 and change ONLY the image size to 64x64, save, then re-run the program (with modifications to the .txt that corresponds to the image: changing "63 63" to "64 64"), the image shows clear as day. I don''t recall the book ever limiting bitmaps to just that size, so I know something has to be wrong. Does someone else have this problem? or better yet have the solution to this problem? I appreciate all responses.
Advertisement
seeing that you got so far in the book, do you remember that little Monster text game that he was showing you how to make from the book. Did you follow up with it using ConLib? Cause there was so much code on that part...I''m just wondering if you were patient to type up all that code

-Zeke''''s Signature
-Zeke''s Signature
I dont know anything about ''Mirus'', but a LOT of computer graphics and image processing routines will only take powers of two. Usually bacause they are using Fast Fourier Transformation...
Nope, I didn''t type in all that code. Since it was provided on the CDRom I just took it off of that and ran it. I probably would have used con-lib for making another game if I were less experienced, but I don''t think I would have re-typed his code. I would have evaluated it and used his techniques in another program though. Since I am already extremely familiar with using c++ in DOS, I just skipped it all and went straight to Programming in Windows. I fell I have learned a lot, but I am dissapointed this graphics engine isn''t working like it should. Making every one of my bitmaps the size of a multiple of 2 is not efficient.

I really want to get this solved too because out of 3 game engines I have tried out already, this tops them all because it''s Object-Oriented and in C++. If you have any Questions on the book, feel free to write me at Reznor504@hotmail.com . I will be happy to help you with something.
quote:Original post by Steadtler
I dont know anything about ''Mirus'', but a LOT of computer graphics and image processing routines will only take powers of two. Usually bacause they are using Fast Fourier Transformation...

(Your reply was written as I wrote my reply to the first person, just to let you know)

Ohh really. It seems like that would be very inefficient to increase the bitmap size to fit your picture... Of course you could always scale it down in size, but that reduces the quality.

Well if that''s so, then I guess I''ll just have to scale my pictures down a notch or two. Thanks Steadtler.
Believe it or not, I was reading that book a few months ago, and It made me realize that, I had to go back and re-learn to program c++...The hole concept of Handles through me off, and since the book said "All in One" I thought i was learning the c++ that i needed for game programming, but its actually not true...I had to go and buy another C++ book! All of his quick jumps confused me even more as a nooby, so i decided to take things slow. (By the time i got to Pointers in that book and that custom CString class) that he had showed in the book, I was so confused lol, I decided to remove the book from my library, it''s somewhere in my closet lol ...I don''t recommend it for newbies like me lol.

-Zeke''''s Signature
-Zeke''s Signature
I had the same trouble with it. After I typed it all out I copied it from the cdrom just to make sure I didn''t mess up somewhere. And I had problems with the targa as well, somtimes they would work somtimes not.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement