Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lukerd

Could you test my engine please

Hey Everyone, could you guys please test my engine. If i'm lucky it might become my 2nd finished game. (The last one was a breakout clone) I'm really pleased with this I usually give up after about a week. Just let me know if it runs and what FPS on what hardware. I know there are some bugs and it needs LOADS of optimising. And before anyone says anything I know it rains indoors Heres the link and heres some screenshots: Thanks alot! Lukerd. P.S If you hold space you get bullet time.. i mean slow motion. Oh and sorry shoulda said the models are from polycount so credit to whoever made them. Hyperdev
"To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer"

Not that this helps much, but on this old P3-600, with a Voodoo3, it gets around 4 fps
The main thing that seems to be lagging it down for me is that transparent fire around the player, though.. wireframe pretty much eliminates everything except for that, and gets almost the same FPS.

Mop~

Open Lightlist.txt and change the 2 to 0 that turns off the dynamic lights should speed it up loads.

If its still slow open enemylist.txt and change the 10 to 9 to turn off the rain. if its still slow change the 10 to a 7 to turn off the fires as well.

[edited by - Lukerd on July 3, 2003 5:30:27 PM]

Hmm, that did a little maybe, but running fullscreen got me up to around 20, as opposed to 4-5 in a window. Same effect with my sort of mmorpg-ish engine I''m working on.. windowed gets around 30-40, fullscreen gets well over 100. Must be this voodoo.

Mop~

On my p3 507 (overclocked) with a gforce mx2 and 128 megs ram i get anywhere between 14 and 28 fps. It actually goes down in wireframe though... And you''ve got some monsters in some pretty odd places doing some pretty odd things. (funny watching one demon jump on anothers head...)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Great work!
Constantly over 110 Fps here (800*600*32, AMd XP 2400+ overclocked and radeon 9700 pro)
Zoom is a wonderfull addition

I can''t look side to side?!

But other than that, 40+FPS on a laptop with a Radeon Mobility 7500

Looks good, the slow motion is neat and the zoom is pretty functional.

Clutch

Guest Anonymous Poster
Great work dude ... bullet time seems to work for me ... but it needs some works ;-)

70+ fps
AMD Athlon 1800+
256 RAM
GeForce 3 ti200
Windows 2000 pro

lukerd
i have seen your crosshair is a black TGA with a white crosshair

what blending function did you use to get rid of the black pixels?

runs at
55fps
with:
FFAA 4x
8x anisotropic
texturesharpening
1280*1024
on athlon thunderbird 1,400 mhz
512 DDR
GF4 4800

I can''t start the engine. I doubleclick the exe file, the scren flickers for a second tourns black and then puts me back where I were.

Any ideas what''s wrong?

.:3delavnica.com:. Slovenian digital colture
Another day, another bug

Wow, quite a few replies!

Today ive made quite a few changes to the engine, the collision detection now works great, and ALOT faster, the new version showed a 40% - 50% increase in frame rate on my comp just coz I changed the collision. I'll upload the new version tonight.

Basiror: The texture has an alpha channel when I draw the crosshair I use alpha testing. Like this:

glPushMatrix();
glEnable(GL_ALPHA_TEST);
glAlphaFunc(GL_LESS, 0.3f);
glColor3f(1, 1, 1);
OrthoMode(0, 0, width, height);
glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, crosshair.texID);
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex2i(0, 0);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex2i(0, height);
glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex2i(width, height);
glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex2i(width, 0);
glEnd();
glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
PerspectiveMode();
glColor3f(1, 1, 1);
glDisable(GL_ALPHA_TEST);
glPopMatrix();

The quad really covers the whole screen, from corner to corner but only the crosshair is drawn.

BGCJR: If you mean the bullets dont always kill the enemy, I know what the problem was, and it SHOULD be better. It was just the demon guys collision radius was too small. If thats not what you mean let me know.

CWIZO: Check "Program Log.txt" let me know what the last 3 or 4 lines say.

The crosshair doesnt move left or right on the screen yet. Im gonna add that when I change from MD2 models to MD3 and I can have the torso rotating without the legs doing the same.

Thanks guys. Let me know if you find any other bugs.

EDIT: The new version is uploading as I type.

Hyperdev

[edited by - Lukerd on July 4, 2003 8:06:05 PM]

yeah i kinda figured that now

i thought there isn t a alpha channel cause photoshop 7.0 TGA plugin has a bug and doesn t take care about the alpha channel

you need to download a fix from the homepage

GAY!

May I ask why you are drawing a quad from corner to corner if it only draws a small cross-hair? I simply just draw a quad large enough to hold my cross hair, this A.) is more efficient for the gpu to only go through a small quad, and B.) requires a much smaller texture that will have higher quality because it's not being stretched.

--- Edit ---
110fps average windowed, and something isn't right with your bullets, when you shoot after walking around for a while, they just don't work properly.. shooting from a random position at a random angle (aka, not from where the player is, and not at the direction your facing!).

[edited by - Ready4Dis on July 4, 2003 12:31:23 AM]

Yeah that happened to me earlier, im gonna try and pinpoint whats gone wrong. And I only drew the quad that big coz i didnt know it would make much difference, i''ll try it your way.

thx

Lukerd.

Hyperdev