Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ilankt

I want to make a 2D RTS, but here is my question:

I want your advice, i can do it with Hexagons, or Rects, ofcourse that with rects, it will be much easier, with DX functions, but i think that it will looks better with hexagons... so, what do you say?

I''d say you should definately aim for hexagons if that''s what you want to do. The big point is really that gameplay differs between hexagon and square tile based games. Some situations can be more realistically presented on a hex-grid than a square grid (and the opposite). However I agree on that a square tile map is easier to implemement, but that should not hinder you.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi, I''m doing a 2D turn-based (sorta like Battle Isle) and also debated the merits of squares or hexes. In the end I ended up going for hex, but still have second thoughts occasionally. Squares are MUCH easier to program with and may prove even more suitable if I ever go isometric. I can''t recall any isometric hex based games and I''m having trouble visualising it, altho I don''t foresee any major problems... (altho I''m probably tempting fated by saying that)

The main problems with hex I faced are :
1) the different screen positions of the cells depending the column, since column 2 hex''s are 50% of hex height out of alignment with column 1

2) correctly identifying the cell clicked on. requires some mathmatics involving tangents (well, it did for me), which leads onto...

3) moving the cell left and right (depending on orientation of hex) may also involving moving array position up or down (again depending on the column)

4) the majority (vast majority) of all the free graphic tilesets I''ve found are square or rectangular

If you do go hex-based then let me know (reply to this post) and I''ll let you have a couple of routines which should sort out problem 2 and maybe 3 (depending on your game). Not point reinventing the wheel eh ?

Thorax.

i think i will use plain old rects...
because, i''m making the graphics, and just to draw a hexagon, and drawing it with all the degrees (120 in and 30 out), it can be pain in the ass...
thanks anyway...