Kinda like The Sims...

Started by
5 comments, last by Psybr 20 years, 9 months ago
I was toying with ideas for a new game, and I thought about making a game much like The Sims, where there are (a couple) characters walking around a house, interacting with objects. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions? Like, what kind of rendering system I should use, how I could make a model of a person that interacts with his environment?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Psybr
I was toying with ideas for a new game, and I thought about making a game much like The Sims, where there are (a couple) characters walking around a house, interacting with objects. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions? Like, what kind of rendering system I should use, how I could make a model of a person that interacts with his environment?

Please forgive me, but how many games You finidhed ?

"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We WouldWhen Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It's A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die"THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR
quote:Original post by Estor

Please forgive me, but how many games You finish ed ?

Why do you care? He asked for help, not "constructive critisism." For rendering, I would use either an isometreic or full 3D engine (whichever you're more comfortable with), and by modelling, do you mean the behavior or physical model?

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on July 4, 2003 3:23:32 AM]
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
quote:Original post by Estor

Please forgive me, but how many games You finished ?

Why do you care? He asked for help, not "constructive critisism." For rendering, I would use either an isometreic or full 3D engine (whichever you''re more comfortable with), and by modelling, do you mean the behavior or physical model?

Missunderstand his intention, sorry...

"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We WouldWhen Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It's A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die"THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR
I think you should make the rendering system sperarate.

And then build up a square based enviroment. Add some A* pathnavigation, and make the character able to use his enviroment in the squares around him. (i.e. turn on tv)

I think you should use a Finite Statemachine for the AI and the interaction. Check out the AI forum for that part.

Then you could use a 2D or 3D render engine. Doesn''t matter
----------------------------------------------Petter Nordlander"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who do not"
I wish sims was that simple as FSM and Astar...........
3D Side-Scroller game demo Project-X2 "playable"Lashkar: A 3D Game & Simulation Project demo @ lashkar.berlios.de
quote:Original post by DirectXXX
I wish sims was that simple as FSM and Astar...........
I fervently wish crap posters would die a painful death.

An FSM would be plenty to handle a basic clone of The Sims, and the aforementioned full 3D would probably be best, as long as you have some models to use.

My question is, is do you plan on having full animations for when your agents use something, like pushing buttons, turning knobs, etc? In The Sims, the agents can actually pick up objects like coffee pots. Did you have any capabilites like this planned?
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement