well what if winzip isnt there?

Started by
4 comments, last by BungoMan85 20 years, 9 months ago
heh, you can tell this is gonna be about winzip cause of the catchy title. anyways i found a way to zip up a file using winzip, now theres a slight problem, say winzip ISNT installed on the system. well then this function is almost useless. so what then to do? im thinking use the winzip thing that is (for lack of a better term) embeded in windows xp (if theyre not using xp and they dont have winzip then theyre sol). the question is, there apparently isnt a single exe responsible for this feature in windows. so its got to be part of something else (i think the proper term is a shell command, im a lil new to all that so sorry if im way off). my guess is that theres a command that can be sent to windows (or explorer... same thing... sorta) that tells it to start zipping a file with the winzip that is in windows xp. i say it doesnt seem to be a stand alone exe because i looked all throughout the registry (i dont have winzip so i can say for sure that if anything in the registry mentioned it then itd have to be the thing xp has) and i looked throughout the system folders, nothing mentioning zip, winzip, or compression of any kind. so does anyone out there know how to make use of this nifty little tool? in c++ tho.... Bungo!
Bungo!
Advertisement
The zip thing in XP is probably built into explorer and trying to use it from your app would probably be more work than its worth. Instead check out zlib. Shouldnt be too hard to use.
Get a self-extracting zip maker.. I''m assuming you''re using this to create an install program?
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
eh, from what i can tell zlip doesnt do zip format, and it needs to be in that format =/

Bungo!
Bungo!
If the file is for download, include a link to a any unzipper. If its on a disk, you could include a small command-line unzipper (can''t find it anymore, but pkware used to distribute a small unzipper {<1k}). If it is for creating an installer, there are several good free installer packages already created that you could modify for your particaular application.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I don''t know about Winzip, but if you download Winrar from www.download.com
you can make self-extracting rar-files instead (user clicks on an exe-file, and it unpacks the whole thing).

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement