Is Lamothe's new book Tricks 2(the 3D Book) good for me?

Started by
15 comments, last by supo 20 years, 9 months ago
My experience in programming is limited to beginner to intermediate knowled in visual basic and beginner level in C++. I want to buy a book and I am thinking of Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-the new book from Lamothe. I like to get into the meat of things and prefer learning by diving in straightaway. I have gone past learning things like If...Then... and Else and so on Is this book too difficult for a somebody like me. Does it really take things from the beginning? I have already an introductory C++ book and currently reading Game Programming all in one. Pls advice. I know there is the earlier Tricks 1 covering mainly 2D FROM lAMOTHE but I am thinking of diving straight into the main stuff.
Baba Orim
Advertisement
The book assumes that you are already have tons of experience with C, and have previously worked on 2D games. At least, that's what the introduction says.

[edited by - twix on July 3, 2003 8:13:45 PM]
I really love LaMothe''s books,but I don''t know if this is a dive-in sorta book. It won''t teach you directX or OpenGL or anything like that, it teaches alot of the kind of stuff thats INSIDE directX, or Direct3D anyhow... so its not for the faint of heart. Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, also by LaMothe, might be a better start IMHO. Also, while Tricks of the 3D...2 is the official sequal to Tricks of the 3D...1, its in many ways the interim spiritual sequal to Tricks of the Windows...1 until the official sequel arrives.

Ravyne, NYN Interactive Entertainment
HTTP://nyn.studio42games.com

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

The book assumes competent C abilities. It also assumes the user is familiar with common 2d techniques and optimizations, and some other general areas that only come with experience. Absolutely the best book I've ever read. However, most likely a horrible choice if you have no experience in C and more relevantly, graphics. As another posted mentioned, the original Tricks of the Windows game programming gurus would likely be a great first book, though.

[edited by - haro on July 3, 2003 8:36:01 PM]
when you say C, do you mean both C or C++?
----Me: So do you know any computer languages?Friend: Ummm....yeah, I used to know l337 talk.Me: ok....
quote:Original post by TheOne1
when you say C, do you mean both C or C++?

As Andre says, "C+." Basically all the code is procedural and mixes C and C++ (like local declaration of the counting variable in for loops (C++) and using printf() (C)).
-YoshiXGXCX ''99
Thanks for all the advice. I think I am getting the idea. It looks like Tricks 2 assumes a lot beyond beginner level knowledge of C++. I will go for the Tricks 1 book.
What I haven''t had mentioned is whether Tricks 1 starts things form the beginning.
Thanks to all
Baba Orim
Tricks 1 starts from the beginning and goes into quite a bit of detail. Some implementations are left "up to the reader" though so you''ll have to work alot while reading it, which is also a good thing in my mind.
How is his coding style in this book? I really didn''t like the way his BOB engine from WGPFD was structurate (everything in the same file etc).

--
Spearhawk Productions
Project Andromeda
His style is hideous as always.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement