Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows 98SE difficulty

This topic is 5273 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just assembled my new computer today and I can''t get Windows 98SE to run. I have gone as far to the point where the hard drive is setting up but it... Froze... I have setup other O.S. with no problems. Any suggestions?

IF it is a new hard drive make sure that it is formatted to FAT32 (or FAT16 if that''s all you have available) before trying to install Win98. I believe Win98 requires the drive to have a FAT before it will install.

Its a brand new blank hard drive...

Now how do I get my hard drive formatted for FAT32.

The only computer I have now is running Win ME.

This is not as easy as it appears when your computer doesn''t respond to your screaming and thrashing!

I AM USING WINDOWS 98SE FULL EDITION! not upgrade!

restard your computer with windows 98 in the cd rom. When the machine is starting up look for a message that says somthing like "press any key to load from cd..." if you see it, press any key! If you dont see that message your bios boot order might be set up to skip your cd rom and go to your hard drive. In which case you'll need to get into your bios to change your boot order.

Bios menus vary from computer to computer so I am not sure how to get into yours it is usually esc or F2 or somthing like that. There should be a message that pops up when booting telling you the key to press.

once you get the cd to load while starting up you should be able to install and with a little looking you'll see how to reformat your computer with the correct file system.

Hope that helped some!
Goodluck!

edit: If what he says about 98 having to have fat to begin the install you might have to take out hard drive and format it on your working pc... I'm assuming you know how to do that?

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

[edited by - tstrimp on July 4, 2003 1:28:48 AM]

first, are you sure all components of your new system are compatible with Win98?

second, make a boot disk then boot from the disk and run fdisk. I would suggest FAT32 for the HD format, with FAT16 you''ll have a lower capacity and Win98 is fully compatible with FAT32.

or ...

if (new_computer == still_does_not_work)
go_and_buy_linux = NOW;

hope something here helped

I think the problem is the hard drive is not responding to the fromatting part of Windows 98 Setup, Everything is fine but IT DOES NOT RESPOND WHEN FORMATTING OR ACCESSING THE HARD DRIVE.

I will try more this weekend and send the hard drive back or get someone who knows about installing O.S.es.

I have installed Win ME and Red Hat Linux with no problem but Win 98 is a stubbern... I may be blaming the wrong product.

then do what I told you, use FDISK

what brand is the hard-drive (size?), what interface ATA-66/100/133, SATA.

Goto your drives manufacturers website and download their utilities, they can check the drive for damage and some of their tools are very useful.

btw, sorry if this is way off but it does take time to format a hard drive. Depending on the size and speed of your comp. What exactly do you mean by "it does not respond"?

another thing, which IDE channel are you using? Probably doesn''t matter.

if you have a single drive, I believe you have to put it on the end of the IDE cable. Might be wrong on this one,

Maybe if you have an old IDE cable, you have the cable in upside down. The new IDE cables have a hole 'filled in' so you cannot get it wrong. Make sure that the red marked side connects to pin 1... there's a number one printed next to the IDE connection.

Or.. maybe it's a bad hard drive... it happens.

[edited by - GoofProg on July 4, 2003 1:58:56 AM]

Seagate 80GB, 7,200rpm, UDMA/100 same as ATA/100, IDE Controller ONE

When the setup program gets to the "Large Disk Support" the computer stops responding, I left the computer on for hours and still does not respond not even the three finger salute helps if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Yes the HDD is reconized in BIOS.

[edited by - D-ungeon M-aster on July 4, 2003 2:03:59 AM]

Check to see if you have a ATA/RAID controller on your motherboard. Move it away from that connection and use the slower and regular one until you installed the RAID/ATA drivers in your os and then move it back over. You are probably not going to use the RAID option, but you still need to install it to get the ATA(UDMA)100 controller talking to the os

I encountered this problem with my ASUS motherboard
Yes BIOS will find it, but the os does not

[edited by - GoofProg on July 4, 2003 2:08:59 AM]

[edited by - GoofProg on July 4, 2003 2:10:53 AM]

I have On-Board Motherboard Controller.

So... What should I do if I can''t get the O.S. to read and format the hard drive?

1. Take the hard drive back
2. Try another O.S.
3. Go to store
a. Buy Shotgun
b. Buy two shells
c. wait for cooling off period
4. Load Shotgun
a. Point Shotgun
b. Pull Trigger
c. Pull Trigger again
5. Dance in its shatterd remains!

But how do I get my Warranty on a blown away Computer?

if you have a blue ide and a black one.. connect it to the black one. The blue one is the one that uses the seperate UDMA controller.

[edited by - GoofProg on July 4, 2003 2:26:33 AM]

Microsoft Windows 98 CD-ROM Startup Menu
========================================

1. Boot from Hard Disk
2. Boot from CD-ROM

Enter your choice: 1 Time remaining: 12

Does not Frezze at all!

NEXT SCREEN.

Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
=================================

1. Start Windows 98 Setup from CD-ROM
2. Start computer with CD-ROM support
3. Start computer without CD-ROM support

Enter a choice: 1 Time remaining: 28

Sometimes frezzes sometime not...

NEXT SCREEN IF NOT RESPONDING

Microsoft Windows 98 Setup
==========================

Formatting Hard Disk

Please wait; Setup is formatting your hard disk.

----------------------------------------

Formatting drive C
0% for drive formatted

----------------------------------------

Go to Seagate''s website. I am sure they likely have some drive utilties and if they are anything like WD they will have a utility that will create a bootable floppy disk with some programs on it.

The WD boot disk has an option to format the drive.

If you don''t want to do this, do what the previous poster said and create a bootdisk and use FDISK to create a FAT32 partition. If you don''t format the drive FAT32 you have no reason to take it back - it shouldn''t work. Although Win98 should be able to format it for you, but if I won''t I would try manual and would look at the utilities seagate makes available.

i had a similar problem:
i had an old disk with 2 partitions (2 and 10 gigs), which i wanted to get rid of. after i formatted and changed with fdsik to one 12GB FAT partition win98 wouldnt install anymore.
but when i went back to the old partitioning i could install it again.
so try using fdisk and make a primary dos partition, then make a secondary one, and transform the secondary one to a logical partition. thus when you select the ''see current formatting details'' (or whatever the exact name was) option in fdisk it should show you two partitions, and an option to view logical partition details, which when selected should show you the second partition and FAT32.

at least that worked for me (although i have no idea why it didn''t work with one partition only...oh the joys of win98 )

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!: !FAULTY CPU!

I now have Win 98 on the computer!

I can''t change the display mode or the color depth

My only choice is 640 by 480 pix and 2 to 16 Color choices.

I want more color choices for game programming!

PS: I do have a good video card!