Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spoons

Your oppinion on my isometric tile engine

Hello! Recently I have been working on a tile engine, from the isometric perspective. I am a little iffy on my methods of doing so. I create a 2d array for my map, which stores texture information for each tile. Then I tile them on a 4x4 tile. Then, to get my isometric look, I rotated the map 45 degrees on the y axis, and then about 10 degrees on the x axis, to get the angle. I have 2 questions: 1.) Will this way work for displaying isometric tiles in a way that looks like 3d? 2.) If I create my tiles 4 units by 4 units, what size should my textures be for the tiles? To get a better look at what I have done, you can download it at www.geocities.com/Silent_Storm_Inc/projects.html . Just scroll down to the download file of cmoEngine. Also, I am still looking for one or two programmers to help me on this project.

Oddly enough Ive been trying to create an isometric/tilebased 3D engine using the same method you used (Which I believe I learned from a tutorial on this site)

It seems like a good method (with potential) but Ive already come across a few problems.

I was using a 15x15 2 dimensional array to map my quads and texture them. The method I was using to automate the creation of the board had a few problems with it.

Here lemme post some source code so I can try to explain:

int drawboard(GLvoid)
{
int tile;
for (int z = 0; z < MAP_SIZEZ; z++)
{
for (int x = 0; x < MAP_SIZEX; x++)
{

tile = map[z][x];

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[tile]);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glNormal3f(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(float(x), 0.0f, float(z));
glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(float(x + 1), 0.0f, float(z));
glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(float(x + 1),0.0f, float(z + 1));
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(float(x), 0.0f, float(z + 1));
glEnd();
}
}
return (1);
}

The first problem I encountered with this function was the fact that it creates the game board 15 units to the right and 15 units into the screen.

Normally nothing would be wrong with this, but I wanted the map to be centered instead of 15 units to the right and 15 units into the map (for camera purposes and plus I think its way more efficient to have your map centered or at least that was what I was taught)

So to change this I decided to create a 30x30 map but I had to make a little bit of a change to my code:

int drawboard(GLvoid)
{
int tile;
for (int z = z - 15; z < MAP_SIZEZ; z++)
{
for (int x = x - 15; x < MAP_SIZEX; x++)
{

tile = map[z + 15][x + 15];

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[tile]);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glNormal3f(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(float(x), 0.0f, float(z));
glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(float(x + 1), 0.0f, float(z));
glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(float(x + 1),0.0f, float(z + 1));
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(float(x), 0.0f, float(z + 1));
glEnd();
}
}
return (1);
}

See what I did?

Well that solved that problem, but I also found another problem with this method.

The 2d array method only allows you to create flat maps... if your trying to achieve a 3D look, it would be alot better if you could add a third dimension (height or the y axis) to the maps. However doing this has already baffled me.

I think its a good method but there is a little bit of work involved when it comes to making it suit your needs. (especially when you want the 3d look)

If you really want to use it, I say go for it.

Good luck

I understand what you are saying. I believe that if you have your isometric map setup correctly, you should have no problem attaining the 3d look. You just need the right textures. Starcraft, for example, used a flat quad, with *smart* texturing, that made it look 3d, when it really wasn''t. This is the effect that I am aiming for. Also, I have read in tutorials that it is good to have multiple layers, so that you can create blending effects, and add simple sprites to walls, or to the ground, without having completely new textures. This is currently what I use. Maybe in a later state in my engine, I can allaborate, and create some textures of my own.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.

Looks pretty good, got around 200 fps. But I wouldn't call it isometric, seems to me to be ordinary 3D. Isometric is when the z axis doesn't get smaller on the screen when going into the distance, like those math book cubes.

isometric to me:
http://www.quickhoney.com/indexday.html

=)

[edited by - Herr_O on July 4, 2003 2:00:45 PM]

Ok, I took that last post into consideration, and changed pretty much everything. You can see the new updated version at my website:

www.geocities.com/Silent_Storm_Inc/projects.html

I think this is the effect I should be shooting for. Also, if anyone has any questions on how I did this, feel free to ask.

Thank you.

Ah, that's more like it, now just add some content and stuff

How do you plan to do walls and collision?

-----------------------------
Sometimes a Guru meditation must be followed by a Vulcan neck grip.

[edited by - Herr_O on July 5, 2003 4:38:45 AM]

For walls, and sructures, I was thinking of just creating a bool variable in my sprite class, that will decide if the tile is passable or not. That way, I don''t have to worry too much about collision with the map. I want to focus most of the collision detection on the ships. For the ships, I was thinking about maybe using the painters method, for detecting at the per-pixel level. I would really LOVE to see a good article, or tutorial on perpixel collision, and that is my main goal right now. If anyone as any tutorials or articles on this, please post them.

Thanks.