Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rjacobson

Calling a function pointer from a templated class

Ok. Hopefully this is an easy question for someone. What I''m trying to do is call an arbitrary function from a templated object. Everything seems to compile fine until it gets to the actual function pointer call, at which point it pukes out: " in method ''void A::setFunc( void(B::*)() )'' cannot convert a pointer of type ''A'' to a pointer of type ''B'' must use .* or ->* to call pointer to member function in ''A::func(...)'' " I''ve already spent hours searching through google for answers, but couldn''t find anything mentioning this situation. Here''s a simple version of the source code I''m using.... Maybe it''s a simple solution and I''ve just been staring at the code for too damn long... In any case, can anyone tell me what''s going on??

template<class T>
class A
{
public:
    // function pointer

void(T::*func)(void);

// set the function pointer and call it.

void setFunc( void(T::*f)(void) ) {
        func = f;

// THIS HERE GIVES ME THE GRIEF        

func();         
    };

A(){};    
};

class B
{
public:

A<B>* Aobject;

// this is the function that needs to be called from A<class T>

void doFunc() {
        // do stuff        

cout << "Doing stuff" << endl;
    };

void setupFunc() {
        Aobject = new A<B>();
        Aobject->setFunc( &B::doFunc );        
    };

B(){};
};

int main()
{
  B Bobject;
  Bobject.setupFunc();  

return 0;
}

You need to provide a B object in order to call a B member function, the member function pointer is not enough by itself. If it''s appropriate for your situation you can store a pointer to a B object in A<B> and then call the member function using ->*.