Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Snd of Thndr

Retail vs. Debug

I have a rather interesting question to ask. At work, I am doing some testing on code written by another company. My job is to ensure that the code outputs correct calculations for some 65 different scenarios. Often, I have to go and change some of the code. I usually create a debug executable and step through the section of code that I changed to make sure everything is working correctly. Then, I have to make a retail executable because it was the standard set forth in this project. When I go to make the retail executable, I get a warning that a LIB is incompatible with the other libraries in the project. However, I do not get this warning when making the debug executable. So my question is: What is the difference between creating a debug executable and a retail executable such that would trip such a warning? I''m sorry to say that I don''t have the warning with me (I''m not at work atm), and I can''t show any of the code. I know I''m not giving much, but could someone at least point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance. ~del

I''m assuming that you are using a version of VC++. The first place to check for this sort of thing is in the VC++ manual/help files. All warnings and error codes are explained there. Not enough info to go on, but it sounds like you are linking to a lib built in multi-threaded mode with a project configured to be built using single-threaded libs (or vice-versa). Again, that is just a wild guess but is a common cause of this sort of error in VC.

i assume that the lib is compiled as debug version. so you have to compile the lib too as retail version. if you don''t have the sources you have to look for the retail compiled version.