D3DFVF_XYZRHW

Started by
9 comments, last by supagu 20 years, 9 months ago
im trying to draw 2d hud elements using D3DFVF_XYZRHW apparently i dont the points i generate are actuall screen coordinated. the sdk says my vertex should be like this: FLOAT x, y, z, rhw; what is the rhw? what should it be set to, and is x=0, y=0 the top left of the screen, and what value is the bottom right of the screen? thanks.
Advertisement
The bottom right of the screen will be your resolutions width -1, and your resolutions height -1. Remember you start with (0,0) not (1,1).

For example, in 800x600 the bottom right will be (799, 599).

RHW stands for Reciprocal of Homogeneous W.

Hope that helps,

Michael Bartman
CEO, Lead Programmer
Dark Omen Studios
http://www.darkomenstudios.com/
Michael BartmanCEO, Lead ProgrammerDark Omen Studios
okay, ive done some experimentation, and i cant get them to show up, is there anything special i must do?

i tryed turning off the z buffer, and culling but i only get some thin little strip down the side of the screen :-/
Could you post some code? That will help diagnose the problem.

Michael Bartman
CEO, Lead Programmer
Dark Omen Studios
http://www.darkomenstudios.com/
Michael BartmanCEO, Lead ProgrammerDark Omen Studios
rhw is set to 1. If you''ve set it to 0 then it shouldn''t show up, so that''s proabably your problem. I know that doesn''t help all that much with understanding. There''s an NVidia OpenGL sample somewhere on their site that demonstrates its effect.

Good Luck
Set RHW to 1. Basically, all the other values (x,y,z) will be multiplied by the RHW in the transform (if you send it through the regular pipe).

What coordinates the screen are depends on your projection matrix. In most computer graphics, y=0 means BOTTOM, and y=positive means UP. Thus, the bottom-left corner is 0,0.

If your projection matrix is entirely vanilla, it may be that the lower-left corner is 0,0, and the upper-right corner is 1,1, and the Z range is 0 through 1.
quote:What coordinates the screen are depends on your projection matrix.

When you use D3DFVF_XYZRHW, the vertices bypass all transformation and lighting, so the projection matrix will have no effect. Basically you''re specifying back buffer pixel coordinates directly (assuming RHW is 1).
Donavon KeithleyNo, Inky Death Vole!
quote:so the projection matrix will have no effect

Apart from if the XYZRHW vertices you feed to D3D require clipping and the device doesn''t expose the D3DPMISCCAPS_CLIPTLVERTS cap.

AFAIK, in those cases, any XYZRHW vertices that fall beyond any available guardband area can potentially turn to mush if the projection matrix is screwy.

To clip XYZRHWs that fall past the guard band, D3D needs to unproject back into 3D space (using the info in the current projection matrix!) to perform the clipping, then reproject afterward. Since XYZRHW vertices are most commonly used for sprites, it''s often a good idea to clip primitives using them manually and set D3DRS_CLIPPING to FALSE to avoid any back projection.

supagu:

Remember that the Z value you use in your sprite vertices will determine what gets written to the Z buffer so try setting it to a low value. Also make sure that the Z value is lower than anything else rendered, that you''ve remembered to Clear() the depth buffer, that the depth buffer is enabled etc

--
Simon O''Connor
ex -Creative Asylum
Programmer &
Microsoft MVP

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

the w component is the way the D3D differentiates between the vertex and the vector.for a vertex the w component should be 1,for a vector between two vertices the w component is subtracted from the other w component of the other vertex so the w component of the vector is 0.the rendering of a vector of w=0 in the clip space would be semi infinite i.e. the vertices are extended to infinity.
Let me correct myself. The x and y values specify back buffer coordinates and z is the depth value [0..1] -- *regardless* of RHW. I was thinking they are in homogeneous space but they''re not.

RHW is essential for getting perspective-correct interpolation when the vertices have been pre-transformed from 3D space.

And it''s needed for back-transformation when clipping, as Simon describes. (But actually I believe only the viewport transform is used, assuming the clipping is performed in, well, clip space. This is how the docs describe it anyway.)

Donavon KeithleyNo, Inky Death Vole!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement