Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kelendil

Looking for game ideas that use a tile engine

I made a 2D scrolling engine in C++ that uses 32x32 tiles. It looks like the Final Fantasy 2 engine only at a higher resolution. I have multiple layers and collision detection. The problem is that, right now, it's only a scrolling engine. I want to turn it out into a game... I wanted to make a console style RPG but I'm not sure anymore. I lack the drawing skills to make a beautiful game. Complete sets of tile graphics are hard to find. Does anyone have an idea of what type of game should my engine become?

Platformers are always nice

I am interested in your object/tile collision detection. I am always looking for better solutions than mine for that, so if you feel like sharing, send to gothmog2k@web.de

I would gladly share but I don't have real collision detection for objects against objects. Right now, I only check collisions against my tiles. My tile structure has a "walkable" variable that I use to check while moving the character around. My collision detection is very simple since I transformed my engine so that the character scrolls tile by tile.

While the character is moving from a tile to the next, there is no collision detection. The only time I check for collisions is when the user initiates a new movement.

I don't think it will stay that way. I may switch to a complete freedom scrolling engine so I will have to change collisions.

[edited by - kelendil on July 4, 2003 9:49:34 AM]

*blinks*

Hrm... mind dropping by at Sherman3D, take a look at the forums, and tell me what you think about SoulAugment? There is currently one programmer trying to make an engine (me ), but we have quite a few artists... Perhaps you would like to join...?