Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TonyFish

Elegant Input Management...

Hi, I am in the process of thinking about the design of a graphics engine and have hit upon a problem: input management in windows using the win32 API. I can''t think up an elegant object structure. All I can think of it a simple Winproc with everything in it (you know, the kind of thing they teach you in C++ for beginners books!). The emphasis here is on seperating window management and input management. Any ideas ? (Go easy on me I''m relatively nwe at this!!!) Many Thanks <Fish>{

Would you consider using DirectInput as part of the win32 API?

(I like to think of DirectX as a fundamental aspect of win32), but that''s just me.

The thing about windows is that your input manager may require a window handle to process inputs. It''s what windows uses to see what frame has focus, what is allowed to get input, etc, etc..

www.cppnow.com

My message processing function, exWindow:rocessMessage() is a huge switch statement.

It receives data from the OS, and then sends it to anyone needing it, for instance
exVideo::Resize( ) for resize messages
exKeyboard::ChangeKeyState( ) for keydown messages
exCore::Disable( ) for loss of focus messages

So I advise you to create a keyboard manager, with an enum KeyState Keys[256]; array. enum KeyState is : keydown, keyup, keyjustup, keyjustdown

--> when you press key x, the message processor receives WM_KEYDOWN x, and you send Keyboard->KeyDown( x ) which changes Keys[x] to keyjustdown. Then, each game delta time, you change "keyjustdown" to "keydown" and "keyjustup" to "keyup".

Another solution I had thought of, but discarded, is having some sort of module-like system.

You have a module class :

class Module {

friend class Master;

protected:

Module * NextModule;

public:

virtual long ProcessMessage( msg ) = 0;
};

Now, derive from these modules :

class KeyboardModule : public Module {

virtual long ProcessMessage( msg ) {
if( /* Message can be processed by this module*/ ) {
//Process it and return!

} else {
if( NextModule == NULL ) {
//no next module to pass it on

return DefaultProc( msg );
} else {
//pass it on to the next module

return NextModule->ProcessMessage( msg );
}
}
}
};

Now, each module receives messages, processes his, and passes the others on. We need a Master class to get it moving :

class Master {

static Module * FirstModule;

public:

static long ProcessMessage( msg ) {

if( FirstModule == NULL ) {
//no first module to pass it on

return DefaultProc( msg );
} else {
//pass it on to the firstmodule

return FirstModule->ProcessMessage( msg );
}
}

static AddModule( Module * M ) {

M->NexModule = FirstModule;
FirstModule = M;
}
};

Master:rocessMessage is static, and can be used as the message processor. Make sure you initialize it''s values correctly, and all should be ok.

Phew.

ToohrVyk

I did nearly the same (KeyState array) to avoid a DirectInput dependency in a GL environement I want as API independant as possible. This works well. Except some rare system key input buffer saturation problems I have not solved yet (lazy).

[edited by - Charles B on July 4, 2003 8:48:47 PM]