Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snakekain

does visualstudio.net contains directx9 sdk

I got Visual C#.net 2003 the other day and it doesn't so I presume studio doesn't have it either.

Bit of a shame really because it's something you're almost definitely going to use at some point.

Why you shouldn't use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book

[edited by - siaspete on July 4, 2003 8:14:25 PM]

I think it has DX8 though, at least. Check the MSDN, it''s usually not installed in the usual locations.

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.

quote:
Original post by siaspete
I got Visual C#.net 2003 the other day and it doesn''t so I presume studio doesn''t have it either.

Bit of a shame really because it''s something you''re almost definitely going to use at some point.

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book

I''ve been programming for almost 10 years now, graphics programming since I started, programming in MSVC++ for about 5 years now, and I have barely ever touched direct x, outside of grabbing a screen buffer pointer with an older version of dx and no SDK installed. It''s not a shame, because that''s a bunch of useless crap that would have wasted precious CD space and made the need to waste more hard drive space, another installation option, and added another CD to the set, so they would have had to charge even more for their studio''s package. If you want a dx9 SDK, download it, or get the CD for cheap, it''s really not that difficult, and some of us are GLAD they didn''t bundle it. And at some point, not everybody is going to use dx9, matter of fact, I have not touched it, and most likely never will. The only time I EVER installed a dx sdk was when I was helping someone out and it required it.. found the problem, un-installed it.

quote:
Original post by Ready4Dis
quote:
Original post by siaspete
I got Visual C#.net 2003 the other day and it doesn''t so I presume studio doesn''t have it either.

Bit of a shame really because it''s something you''re almost definitely going to use at some point.

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book

I''ve been programming for almost 10 years now, graphics programming since I started, programming in MSVC++ for about 5 years now, and I have barely ever touched direct x, outside of grabbing a screen buffer pointer with an older version of dx and no SDK installed. It''s not a shame, because that''s a bunch of useless crap that would have wasted precious CD space and made the need to waste more hard drive space, another installation option, and added another CD to the set, so they would have had to charge even more for their studio''s package. If you want a dx9 SDK, download it, or get the CD for cheap, it''s really not that difficult, and some of us are GLAD they didn''t bundle it. And at some point, not everybody is going to use dx9, matter of fact, I have not touched it, and most likely never will. The only time I EVER installed a dx sdk was when I was helping someone out and it required it.. found the problem, un-installed it.

Ermmmmm...ok?

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Must be an OpenGL guy. Surely noone spends 10 years working with the GDI.

VS.net has an early version of the DX8 sdk but that''s it.

I never said I spent 10 years with GDI, I started out in mode 13h, then moved on to extended VGA modes, and onto SVGA (VESA) modes. After which, I moved onto Glide for 3d hardware programming, and then onto opengl. I haven''t had a good reason to install any dx sdk, because it''s a waste of space in my opinion. I understand the sdk installation would be optional, but it would surely take up another CD, and bring the already high costs up even higher, especially when downloading it is very easy for most people, and if you can''t, it''s simple enough to order for cheap or find someone that can download and burn it for you.

I''ll take up another CD?

You don''t have to put it on a CD, you could just install it delete the install file.
It comes free with most DirectX books if you buy any.
Even if you do put it on CD they aren''t exactly expencive, they cost what? about 30p (45 cents) now.

Still if you''re not using DirectX then there''s no need for it but most people who use the DirectX forum here use DirectX aswell.

quote:
Original post by Mastaba
Hehe, kinda strange for a person that doesn''t use DirectX to post in the DirectX forum about not using DirectX.

Yes, but it was in the recent threads, which is what I read. The question wasn''t really directx related in nature (no specifics) so I was simply stating a matter of opinion.