Win32 Programming

Started by
8 comments, last by Ekim_Gram 20 years, 9 months ago
Is it me or does anybody else hate it as much as I do? I find the code to be way to cryptic and long just to make a "Hello, world!" program in it. I can''t stand it. There''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Ekim_Gram
Is it me or does anybody else hate it as much as I do? I find the code to be way to cryptic and long just to make a "Hello, world!" program in it. I can''t stand it.

There''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.

not really.. i thought it was boring in ther beginning but when u keep on memorizing and learning it get''s easy though.. go to www.winprog.org .net or .com i dont rememeber... learn win32 api better than using some x plataform api when u will posibly develop for windows ...
Metal Typhoon
Hi,
Stick with it, it does become noticbly easier, i found the different datatypes to be the most confussing thing when i started, do you hav a good understanding of c/c++? if you dont then maybe thats what is holding you back, just keep playing with it

cheers.
The code to initialize a window is long but it''s not hard if you figure out what each part means.

Here''s a good tutorial if you haven''t read it already....click
The monkeys are listening...
I spent a few days learning how to set up one of those neat "Hello World" windows, then got boored and moved to OpenGL. Wohoo, do i have use for the little Win32 code i have learnt? Oh YES!
My advice is; learn how to set up a window and if you still hate it as much, start look at a bit DirectX or OpenGL (Witch i personally think is a LOT more fun!). You will then be able (probably) to set up for example an OpenGL window fairly easy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.
Is it me or does anybody else hate it as much as I do? I find the code to be way to cryptic and long just to make a "Hello, world!" program in it. I can't stand it.

There's no town drunk here, we all take turns.
When I first started Win32 programming, I was using ASM.

[edited by - Valderman on July 5, 2003 9:55:19 AM]
it becomes easy after using it for a while
at first I thought it wasnt even c++

how much code is actually required to display hello world on the screen ?

most of the code will be setting up the window and processing windows msgs

here is a hello world program in a win32 application that is only a few lines

int __stdcall WinMain(HWND hWnd, HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int)
{
MessageBox(NULL, "Hello World!", "Hi World", MB_OK);
return 0;
}
I guess I''ll just re-read the chapter on it in the OpenGL Game Programming book and read some other tutorials until I can fully understand it.

You're not alone! When I first looked at windows programming I was like "huh? is this really c++?". I only reaad the intro parts of windows programming and had to held off the on the rest since I'm preoccupied with school work and other projects.

But anyway, I consider myself to know C++ pretty well now and know what most of the syntax used means. But the stuff for windows there's no way I can possibly remember all of those stuff inside the structure!

And I can't understand the diagram shown in the books in how a windows program works. Why does the flow of the logic have to go in an "S" shape? I mean first the input goes to windows, an event msg is generated and is past to our program. Then our program is suppose to pass it back into the windows os in which it passes back into our program again just to process it! Why can't they just use a more direct way like we get windows msg process it and then pass control back to windows or msg gets passed to windows first if they want to do something to it before giving it to our program.

It's all so confusing

You fight like a dairy farmer.

[edited by - Greatwolf on July 5, 2003 3:01:32 PM]

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

Is it me or does anybody else hate it as much as I do? I find the code to be way to cryptic and long just to make a "Hello, world!" program in it. I can''t stand it.

While don''t excatly hate it per say I do find it ugly - wich is why I''ve started a project to wrap the GUI part of the Win32 API into some nice C++ classes

But if you really hate it I suggest that you find your self some gui designer.. ( never seen one for C/C++ but the must one like those that comes with with VB, C# and delphi )

/Please excuse my bad spelling - My native language is binary not english
|Visit me
\Take my advice - I don''''t use it...
/Please excuse my bad spelling - My native language is binary not english|Visit meTake my advice - I don''t use it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement