Lightmaps: outdated or not?

Started by
10 comments, last by Basiror 20 years, 9 months ago
what do you think i think it is time to finish my map compiler and i can t decide whether i should use lightmaps or not what do you think? are they outdated and should i stick with realtime lightning?
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Advertisement
light maps look great. your scene is static. you would be waisting your time lighting it in real time and using shadow algorithms. you can do that for all your dynamic objects.
yea light maps are a good way to optimize your engine... use them wherever possible and save the real-time lighting only for your dynamic objects
Stéphane RossGame Gurus Entertainment
Yep, I agree with the others. There''s still a lot of life left in lightmaps.

If the interaction between an object and a lightsource is only ever static, then you''re wasting processing/rendering time calculating it in realtime.

For static lighting, you can use complex global illumnination solutions to create your lightmaps, something that isn''t so easily done in realtime.

Even for certain dynamic object<->light interactions that are far away from the viewer, you might not want to do the lighting for those in realtime.

--
Simon O''Connor
ex -Creative Asylum
Programmer &
Microsoft MVP

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

When someone comes up with something that works for both specular and diffuse light that can be used in real time and looks better then todays apps then lightmaps will be outdated. Before that theres nothing wrong with lightmaps besides it''s only for diffuse light.

/me is about to render some lightmaps in the near future for a game.
ok you convinced me to use lightmaps

now another question

how large should i make a lightmap
16*16 32*32 or 64*64

i know it is dependent on the polygon size

lets say how big should the lightmap be when the polygon is as big as a human player model

? and

should i store RGB values or just liminace values?
make it 256x256!

what you can do is store 10 different variations of the light map (sharp/blurry/arcs/spots/ etc), and you will add even more distinctiveness to the surface textures, all for teh price of 1 bind somewhere in the second or third texture coordinate..

No, no, we FIXED the glitch, the problem is solved on YOUR end

www.cppnow.com
check this out... all you need to do is write down your tex coordinates for each type (just a sample here), and you will reuse the same texture over and over with a single bind..

Imagine all th possibilities of artwork you can use as part of your actual light map shapes!

256x256, grayscale if you want.

www.cppnow.com
I had an interview in May with the UK devco Hothouse, one of things they asked me was if I could do shadow volumes, so it''s definately a skill to know, nevertheless.

- CheeseMonger
- CheeseMonger
actually i am talking about the classical lightmap generation approach
and quite frankly i don t know what i should think about your suggestions

256*256 sounds big especially in scenes with more than 1.000.000 polygons

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement