• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teamonkey

Embedding Python into Dev-C++

This topic is 5562 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve got a problem embedding Python into a game I''m doing using Dev-C++. Basically, the windows libraries you can download are *.lib, but GCC uses *.a libraries. Has anyone compiled the libraries for Dev-C++? I''m on dialup, so downloading the whole Cygwin compilation package is pretty much out of the question. [teamonkey]

Advertisement
I haven't compiled the libraries myself, instead I used the .lib files that came with the package (Python 2.2.3 for Windows). Dev-C++ (my version: 4.9.8.1) has no problem using them. All I had to do was:

- add the python/include dir to my project's include dir setting
- same with the python/libs dir
- add "-lpython22" to "Project Options/Command Line/Linker"

Worked perfectly.

My Wonderful Web Site (C++ SDL OpenGL Game Programming)

I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.

[edited by - randomZ on July 4, 2003 1:45:41 PM]

Are you sure about this? I know this wasn''t possible before, and would be very surprised if it is now... .lib and .a are in different formats, and .a is what GCC uses, so I don''t get it... Perhaps you have the python libraries compiled for GCC somewhere in the path that you''re not aware of?

--------
Leave all your expectations behind, or
they''ll pull you down on your way to the top.

-Ivan

Well, I've just tested it and it appears that Dev-C++ _can_ link both .lib and .a libraries. I have to say that I'm very impressed. Thanks for pointing this out randomZ!

[teamonkey]

[edited by - teamonkey on July 4, 2003 8:51:02 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!