VS C++ projects compatable?

Started by
3 comments, last by edahs 20 years, 9 months ago
Hi everyone, I''m about to get the "Programming RPG games using DX." AFAIK the included source code will be in VS C++ projects. Do you know if I can easily import the source codes into CodeWarrior Pro 6.0 or Dev-C++ without too much hassle? Cheers.
Advertisement
Not likely. VC++ code often does not play well with other compilers in my experience. If you''re a student, VC++ 6 is only $100 or so...
http://edropple.com
The project formats are possibly not compatible. However, if you know how your tools work, it should be easy to add the right CPP files to a new project, add the libraries you need, and just build. Assuming the DirectX libraries are actually recognized by your tool (earlier versions of some tools had problems with that).
I thought DevC++ had an importer for VC++6.0 projects? Anyway, the format is pretty easy to read and parse, so writing a converter shouldn''t be a big deal.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Edward Ropple
Not likely. VC++ code often does not play well with other compilers in my experience. If you''re a student, VC++ 6 is only $100 or so...

Erm, dam I''m not sure what to do now. I got CodeWarrior Pro 6 from a UK magazine called PCPlus so I thaught I might as well use that for the moment since it''s free. I also just installed Dev-C++ so havn''t yet played around with it.

Am I correct in assuming that the libs in DirectX SDK only work in VS C++ environments? If so, where can I obtain a SDK that works with Dev-C++ and CodeWarrior, if they exist?

VC++.Net 2003 standard here in the UK is only around 70UKP, so I''ll consider getting it if I can''t get any code to compile properly from the book.

Cheers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement