Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheFiend

'Ello, newbie here with a ?

Hi everybody. I''m new here to GDNet, and I thought I would introduce myself. I also had a little question, which if anyone can help me out with, would be greatly appreciated. Ok, so I just started reading Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, but when I am done with that, what should I do next. I was thinking about programming a Tetris-clone as a first game, and would like to know what I should learn to create that. And if anyone has any better suggestions for what I should do after I finish the book, please post them. Thanks a lot, and I llok forward to hearing back from people. -- M I S F I T S --

quote:
Original post by Soccerman4
Hey TheFiend, I notice your sig says --MISFITS--. Are you referring to the teen book series? Just wonderin....

Nope. I''m actually talking about the band The Misfits, sorry.
Oh, and thanks for the speedy replies so far, keep ''em comin.

-- M I S F I T S --

Well, before you think about creating your game, you should completely finish your book and understand it. Then after that, you will probably have enough C++ experience to create your tetris game.

But for that, you''ll need to use a graphics library.
There are a few choices, such as Windows GDI, SDL,
DirectDraw etc... and it''s up to you which one you choose.

Returning to your orignal question on what you should do after you finish your book, it depends on you. If you really want to start programming games right away then go ahead and make a simple one, like tetris/pong. But if you still have the motivation and patience to continue learning C++ without getting concerned with games, then I would suggest you to continue learning more C++, as it will help you down the track.

If you opt for the first one (making a simple game) here''s a tutorial on the WinAPI (If you''re interested in GDI or maybe even DirectDraw):

WinAPI tutorial (GDI)

<< Ummm... You can get the GDI.NET Developer SDK >>

Well well well, that wasn't very nice. I didn't know what GDI was either about 6 months ago. Then I learned in about an hour...

For that you can click my HELL SDK link and test if your browser has demons....

www.bringyou.to/HELL/

Phil P

[edited by - PhilVaz on July 5, 2003 10:39:14 PM]

Side Note:
---------------------------------------
DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK PROVIDED BY PhilVaz.

It opens MANY pop-ups and ejects your DVD/CD drives. If you really want to go to the link, do a "Save Target As ..." - (which is what I did and looked at the code)

Just a warning.

Oh, and btw, I don''t believe mittens'' post was particularly negative ... so in the future, be civil.
---------------------------------------

TheFiend: A Tetris clone would be good to do, as it would provide a good challenge to code and you would have a pretty fun game when your done.

Also, if you want to add an OOP swing to your game, you could have a pure virtual class (interface) that handles your graphics (the drawing of your game). Your main class could use this interface and you could implement a couple graphics classes and essentially you could "skin" your app. (hope that made sense )

jp.

oh and btw, the misfits rock.

==============================================
I feel like a kid in some kind of store...
==============================================
www.thejpsystem.com

<< It opens MANY pop-ups and ejects your DVD/CD drives. If you really want to go to the link, do a "Save Target As ..." - (which is what I did and looked at the code >>

Darn it you caught me. You can close windows by hitting Alt-F4 fast enough. Kinda like a close the window game.

I learned the CD-Rom open trick right here on GameDev. Hee hee. Its some VBScript thing.

Meanwhile a legit link for my GDI only game and source

Vazteroids C Source

Vazteroids EXE

Phil P

Asteroids is the way to go. Why? Tetris requires knowledge of the game. You must know all the block patterns there are, the number of blocks that fit on screen, and stuff like that to make a high-quality clone. Asteroids is easier, because all you have to do is randomly spawn asteroids t shoot at, and spawn a UFO when there are very few asteroiuds. Anyways, you should learn OpenGL or DirectX. DirectX is the industry standard SDK. It handles graphics, input, online multiplayer, and things like that. OpenGL handles graphics only, but is very easy. Otherwise, you can use minor libraries like fMod, Allegro, CDX, and so on to learn the basics of libraries. I''m using OpenGL for graphics, and DirectX for everything else.

Scott Simontis
C++ Guy