'Ello, newbie here with a ?

Started by
13 comments, last by TheFiend 20 years, 9 months ago
Hi everybody. I''m new here to GDNet, and I thought I would introduce myself. I also had a little question, which if anyone can help me out with, would be greatly appreciated. Ok, so I just started reading Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, but when I am done with that, what should I do next. I was thinking about programming a Tetris-clone as a first game, and would like to know what I should learn to create that. And if anyone has any better suggestions for what I should do after I finish the book, please post them. Thanks a lot, and I llok forward to hearing back from people. -- M I S F I T S --
-- M I S F I T S --
Advertisement
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/makegames/
I''ve started with asteroids using GDI for graphics.

Seems to be a very nice, fairly simple project. Lends itself well to object based design.
Hey TheFiend, I notice your sig says --MISFITS--. Are you referring to the teen book series? Just wonderin....
I exist.
quote:Original post by Soccerman4
Hey TheFiend, I notice your sig says --MISFITS--. Are you referring to the teen book series? Just wonderin....

Nope. I''m actually talking about the band The Misfits, sorry.
Oh, and thanks for the speedy replies so far, keep ''em comin.

-- M I S F I T S --
-- M I S F I T S --
What is GDI and where can I get it? Thanks.
-- M I S F I T S --
quote:Original post by TheFiend
What is GDI and where can I get it? Thanks.
It''s part of Windows. You already have it.
Ummm... You can get the GDI.NET Developer SDK here or here.

[edited by - mittens on July 4, 2003 11:53:01 PM]
Well, before you think about creating your game, you should completely finish your book and understand it. Then after that, you will probably have enough C++ experience to create your tetris game.

But for that, you''ll need to use a graphics library.
There are a few choices, such as Windows GDI, SDL,
DirectDraw etc... and it''s up to you which one you choose.

Returning to your orignal question on what you should do after you finish your book, it depends on you. If you really want to start programming games right away then go ahead and make a simple one, like tetris/pong. But if you still have the motivation and patience to continue learning C++ without getting concerned with games, then I would suggest you to continue learning more C++, as it will help you down the track.

If you opt for the first one (making a simple game) here''s a tutorial on the WinAPI (If you''re interested in GDI or maybe even DirectDraw):

WinAPI tutorial (GDI)
Just you should be able to use your compiler''s help files.
Ýstanbul-Türkiye

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement