Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vertex Buffer or Drawprimitive??

This topic is 6386 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! Im currently building a 3d engine, and now Im studying what method I should use to display my polygons in direct 3d. I would like to know what are the use of both and their advantages and inconvenient? I cant find a decent article on the subject and the sdk doesnt really explain the ideal use of each one of those. Vertex Buffer seams to be some sort of Display list...Im I right?? thanks

You might be interested in reading these:

DirectX FAQ
Optimizing Direct3D for GeForce 256 (This one is very good even if you don''t have a GeForce card)

The advantages that vertex buffers have over the vertex arrays used in DrawPrimitive() is that you give Direct3D control over the memory used. This allows you to change the contents of the buffer even if Direct3D isn''t finished processing the last command. Another advantage is that vertex buffers can be stored on TnL able cards eliminating the costly transfer from system to video memory when rendering. A third advantage is that the vertex buffer can be transformed once for several consecutive renderings, where as the vertex arrays in DrawPrimitive() is transformed (and lit) everytime.

I can''t think of any situation where Draw(Indexed)Primitive() is better than Draw(Indexed)PrimitiveVB().

- WitchLord