float to two ints

Started by
3 comments, last by angry 20 years, 9 months ago
I want to convert a float to two ints, that is the first integer holds everything thats to the left of the decimal point and the second integer holds everything thats right of the decimal point. Any ideas?
Advertisement
look up fixed point variables
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Depending on the precision you want if you use doubles(64bits) or floats (32 bits).

It's nearly the same thing as fixed point conversion. There is a C math function that does it (forgot the name but ez o find) exactly what you want.

If you want a really fast function seek info about the ieee floating point format that is the bitfield contained in a float (sign s, biased exponent e, mantissa m).
Which you can get by reading memory as an int, a C pointer cast :

int32 i = *((int32*)&f)

I think for a float the formula is something like : (-1)^s*(2^(e-128))*(1+m/2^23)

There's the big (or magic) number addition trick for quick conversion that lets you shift the bits the right way so that you can access the result in memory with a cast to convert directly to integers, get the first 32 bits to get the fractionnal part (fp) and get the next 32 bits and clear the exponent with a and to get the integer part (ip). Beware that's on a little endian processor. With big endian the memory mapping is in opposite order (ip, fp). If you want all the decimal bits from a float you can use this trick with a double. This is the fastest way I know. Would be tedious to explain here.

Try the C function if you understood nothing

Google search ...

[edited by - Charles B on July 4, 2003 7:25:51 PM]
"Coding math tricks in asm is more fun than Java"
A dirty way to do it

#define PREC 100000.0f // numbers of digits behind the ''.''void FloatToTwoInts(float source, int &target1, int& target2){   int temp;   temp = (int) source;   target1=temp;   float temp2 = source - (float) temp;   target2 = (int)( temp2 * PREC ); }
----------------------------------------------Petter Nordlander"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who do not"
Or you can simply use integer division and modulus. Not the quickest way probably, but it''ll work.
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement