Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superpig

Cg/Shader concerns

''lo all, I was just pondering some shader stuff... Is speed/length of a shader program a massive concern? I see some fairly long programs in the Cg toolkit... Is there any way of getting world-space XYZ coordinates through to a pixel shader? Given that the standard coordinates sent to the pixel shader are screen coordinates, I figure you''d either have to unproject them (eek) or somehow pass them through as ''extra parameters'' in the fragment structure. With that second thing, it''s like this - say I''m trying to apply an effect, on a per-pixel basis, depending on distance from a point in 3D space. Like say a texture blend - I''ve got an arbitrary object, and for each pixel of it I test to see if that pixel is within a given sphere (distance from a point). If it''s within, I use one texture; if not, I use the other. How''s that doable? Superpig - saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Unfortunately, I''ve only programmed in assembler shaders, but I can hopefully give some answers.

quote:
Original post by superpig

Is there any way of getting world-space XYZ coordinates through to a pixel shader? Given that the standard coordinates sent to the pixel shader are screen coordinates, I figure you''d either have to unproject them (eek) or somehow pass them through as ''extra parameters'' in the fragment structure.

Send the world-space coordinates of the vertices from your vertex shader as texture coordinates. They will be interpolated so you''ll have the right coordinates in the pixel shader. Here''s a sample vertex shader:

vs_1_1

dcl_position v0 ;model-space position of vertex
;c0-c3 contains the world-space transformation matrix, transposed
;c4-c7 contains the world+view+projection transformation, transposed

m4x4 oT0, v0, c0
m4x4 oPos, v0, c4

quote:

With that second thing, it''s like this - say I''m trying to apply an effect, on a per-pixel basis, depending on distance from a point in 3D space. Like say a texture blend - I''ve got an arbitrary object, and for each pixel of it I test to see if that pixel is within a given sphere (distance from a point). If it''s within, I use one texture; if not, I use the other. How''s that doable?

Again, I don''t know about CG, but on an assembler pixel shader with the cmp instruction this is pretty trivial. Here''s some sample code:

ps_2_0

dcl_2d s0 ;texture 1
dcl_2d s1 ;texture 2
dcl t0.xyzw ;world-space coordinates
dcl t1.xy ;the actual texture coordinates for sampling

;c0.x - distance threshold
;c1 - the point
sub r0, t0, c1
dp3 r0, r0, r0
rcp r0.x, r0.w ;r0.x now contains the distance
texld r1, t1, s0 ;sample to r1 from first texture
texld r2, t1, s1 ;sample to r2 from second texture
sub r0.x, r0.x, c0.x
cmp r0, r0.x, r1, r2
;if (distance - threshold) > 0, choose the first texture, otherwise, choose the second one.
mov oC0, r0

I hope this helps.

quote:
Original post by Painless
Send the world-space coordinates of the vertices from your vertex shader as texture coordinates. They will be interpolated so you''ll have the right coordinates in the pixel shader.

GENIOUS! I don''t even need a vertex shader that way - I can just set up all the 3d texture coordinates ahead of time. Dude, you rock

About the first question, though - how long would a shader need to be before speed started becoming an issue?

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.