Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PaulCesar

NURBS in GAMES

As a programmer learning to model, i think i am coming along nicely. But believe it or not, i may be taken more to NURBS then to poly modeling itself. (Mainly due to odd "tears" and such in smoothing poly models, and how nice nurbs animates.) anyhow, i was wondering what the current state of using NURBS in realtime is. I remember an artical a few years ago http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991117/macri_01.htm but im wondering if now it IS reasonable, and if NURBS is actualy being used in any commercial games. (ie is it worth it)

NURBS are useful for precisly defining rotar blades for Jet Turbines and other high precision Engineering. This is what they are designed for, not graphics.

The added precision is not particuarlly useful for graphics and they are cumbersome to model with. Sudvision surfaces are a more useful tool for graphics.

So anyway, in response to your question: Yes, they can be achieved in realtime. It is, however, highly difficult, and you need to restrain the degree of NURBS you use. Non Uniform Rational B-Splines are simply another form of curved surface, just like Non Parametric Rational B-Splines, which are easily achievable in real-time. Look these up on the internet, specifically for different types of B-Splines. You may want to look up different kinds of surfaces, including those based on different types of Splines (eg Catmull-Rom) or mathmatically simple ones such as Bezier Surfaces.