Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheFiend

DirectX or OpenGL?

Hi, I was wondering which would be the better of the two. DirectX seems to be better, but OpenGL has more tutorials that I''ve found, so I''m tempted to just use that. Any help would be appreciated. -- M I S F I T S --

quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
quote:
Original post by TheFiend
...DirectX seems to be better..

I'm curious as to what made you say that.

EDIT: Oh, probably the sound and input and other parts...

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on July 4, 2003 10:02:54 PM]

You could use DirectX for sound and input etc and Opengl for graphics if you prefer.

[edited by - Malodorous Skunk on July 4, 2003 10:04:28 PM]

quote:
Well, can someone tell me the strong and weak points of both. This would help me out a lot.
Look.

And remember: Google is your friend.

[edited by - Hikeeba on July 4, 2003 11:45:55 PM]

OpenGL...
If you have to learn only one API for graphics then this is OpenGL.
D3D is only for games. Yes it can be used for other things but it is not recommented!
OpenGL: cross-platform, no bugs, faster than D3D, simpler etc...

quote:

Oh, and is there something to initialize DX, like GLUT does for OpenGL?

You can use Allegro if you are planning to do 2d games it's easier. If you want to do 3d then you can use Allegro along with Allegro GL.

--------------------------------------------------------

The monkeys are listening...

[edited by - FtMonkey on July 5, 2003 2:38:40 AM]

[edited by - FtMonkey on July 5, 2003 2:44:47 AM]

[edited by - FtMonkey on July 5, 2003 3:33:03 AM]

quote:
Well, can someone tell me the strong and weak points of both. This would help me out a lot.

OpenGL doesnt support sound but i find it easier to grasp than DirectX, which is better really is a matter of personal preference i think.

TheFiend...
To be precise, it''s not DirectX you are talking about, it is Direct3D! DirectX is a combination of Direct3D, DirectSound, DirectMusic, DirectPlay, and DirectShow. Go search more on Google or somewhere else and read more about DirectX.

No, nobody here can tell which one is better. If someone tells you that Direct3D (or OpenGL) is better and gives you a whole bunch of reasons, that person is an idiot. They are graphics API, which one to use is totally up to you. Some people find Direct3D a lot better than OpenGL, but some others not.

They are both good, depending on the platform you are programming (d3d is only for windows) and the programming style you like. If COM makes your skin crawl..use opengl. But nobody can really tell you if one is better than the other. Its just an opinion.