DirectX or OpenGL?

Started by
14 comments, last by TheFiend 20 years, 9 months ago
quote:Original post by TheFiend
Well, can someone tell me the strong and weak points of both. This would help me out a lot.

OpenGL doesnt support sound but i find it easier to grasp than DirectX, which is better really is a matter of personal preference i think.
An ASCII tetris clone... | AsciiRis
Advertisement
TheFiend...
To be precise, it''s not DirectX you are talking about, it is Direct3D! DirectX is a combination of Direct3D, DirectSound, DirectMusic, DirectPlay, and DirectShow. Go search more on Google or somewhere else and read more about DirectX.

No, nobody here can tell which one is better. If someone tells you that Direct3D (or OpenGL) is better and gives you a whole bunch of reasons, that person is an idiot. They are graphics API, which one to use is totally up to you. Some people find Direct3D a lot better than OpenGL, but some others not.
if u like functions use OpenGL
if u like classes use Direct3D
Just try both out, see which one you prefer. Though if you''re on a low bandwidth internet connection(e.g. 56k) then you may want to use OpenGL because there''s no huge SDK to download.
Use SDL and OpenGL!

The downside to DirectX is that the SDK is just too big to download. Bah!

Nothing is Impossible
They are both good, depending on the platform you are programming (d3d is only for windows) and the programming style you like. If COM makes your skin crawl..use opengl. But nobody can really tell you if one is better than the other. Its just an opinion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement