The Official Blender GameKit: Interactive 3D for Artists?

Started by
2 comments, last by abd9e4790f 20 years, 9 months ago
Does anybody have the following book? The Official Blender GameKit: Interactive 3D for Artists Just wondering if it was good to use for making 3D content for games. Also can you implement the content into your own games or do you need to make your games in blender? I thought I would use Blender with LaMothe''s new book. (I''m sure I don''t need to type it out.) Do you see any problems with that? Thanks, DM
Advertisement
I don''t have that book, but you don''t need to buy it make 3d models and such for game engines.

The game engine thingy in Blender is a waste of time IMHO. You are not going to be able to make anything even remotely playable with that ''engine'', but Blender is a nice little modeling and animation package.

Head over to www.blender.org and download Blender for free. They also have the Blender 2.0 manual available for free download.

You will need to go through the manual or at the very least visit www.elysiun.com to get some tutorials. Blender''s interface does take a little getting used to.

But you will need some kind of 3d converter program if you plan on using Blender models with Lamonthe''s engine. As I recall, his engine only loads .asc and .cob files. Blender doesn''t support these natively. Blender does save to .dxf format that is very common in 3d programs. Any converter should convert to this formate without problem.

Good luck!
Thanks for the "down low" but is it possible to write your own 3D engine that could handle the .blend file extension.

Also, what converters would you recommend?
Well I have heard terrible things about that .blend file format. It seems to work great for Blender itself, but for other things it seems to be a pain.

As far as 3d converters go, I really don''t know. I don''t use them. There may be scripts that can convert .asc and .cob. I know that there is a Blender script that converts to .obj.

Head over to elysiun.com like the AP said and check the Python forum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement