• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raloth

which model format to use?

This topic is 5487 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

DirectX is starting to get on my nerves so I am considering moving back to OpenGL. However, without X files I''m not sure where to go for animation. 3DS and md3 look rather complicated (probably can''t be as bad as X files though ) and md2 is a little limited in what it can do. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Why not using .x files with OpenGL?
For example, I wrote a loader/viewer that supports animations (take a look at http://come.to/letz -> Projects -> Tira X). Another guy in this forum is writing a os-independent loader for different formats including the x-format.

Engidu.

quote:
Original post by Engidu
Why not using .x files with OpenGL?
For example, I wrote a loader/viewer that supports animations (take a look at http://come.to/letz -> Projects -> Tira X). Another guy in this forum is writing a os-independent loader for different formats including the x-format.

Engidu.

I would like to be able to use my own 3d x file loader and animator via open gl but am having a real difficult time, I was wondering if I could see your source for the file loading and rendering portion of your engine. Of course if you wish to keep your code as confidential as possible then I understand but in that case I was just wondering if you would be able to offer me advice to get started?

quote:
Original post by Khaos Dragon
I would like to be able to use my own 3d x file loader and animator via open gl but am having a real difficult time, I was wondering if I could see your source for the file loading and rendering portion of your engine. Of course if you wish to keep your code as confidential as possible then I understand but in that case I was just wondering if you would be able to offer me advice to get started?

I''m sorry but I will not share the source code for now. If you have a specific question I will try to help you. A good starting point is the part of the DirectX sdk documentation covering the x format.

Engidu.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!