Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr Cucumber

Shareware time limiter in Win32 API

A lot of software has like a 30 day demo limit. After those 30 days the program wont work. How does that work? Do they save something in the registry because the limit stays after you have removed the program?

Yes, most of them have an internal date/time calculator and when time expires they put a key into the registry that each trial setup checks for. If the key is existant, setup aborts. Quite simple.

if you only wanted them to be able to run it a certain amount of times then you would need to update it every time it was run, otherwise you could just compare dates with the origional registery key

I hate apps that pollute my system directories or registry. Besides, I give such a scheme 30 seconds of security (or however long it takes to fire up RegMon and FileMon).
A better scheme would be to store this info in your data or in the .exe, and encrypt/hash it. You need to protect yourself against someone copying in a previous date.

It still works well against the casual users who just ''forget'' to register. Nothing will stop a determined cracker, but it might get more honest people to register where even annoyances like an ever present, 30-second nagware dialog fail.