Making a new game company work

Started by
12 comments, last by Tsutomegi 23 years, 10 months ago
My problem is I dont know anyone IRL who can program that isnt a flake... My other problem is that I dont know anyone on the internet who can program that isnt a flake... This is why Im doing EVERYTHING myself, and why my simple game wont be done until new year!!! ........ owell
There is no spoon.
Advertisement
Hey guys, I was not meant to offend anyone. I worked a lot when I was in that age, too. I have stated that younger people have less value added work than experienced one. What more, college and 3+ years working is very good resume to find a job. So encourage you to make games. Just don''t complain if you find it hard below 23.

Regards,
bernie

My recommendation is this: Don''t start with a group and expect to get anything done.

Start with 1-2 people who are dedicated to the project. Those core member(s) are the "vision keepers" for the project. They design the game from top to bottom, and then figure out what parts they can do and which ones they will have to either outsource or find new team members to handle.

On the assumption that you are one the "core members" of the team, do the work you can. Don''t wait for the whole team to be in existence before you start working. If you do, you''ll find that you''re not getting a lot done.

For our game, Artifact, my brother and I had our initial "design meetings" in fall, 1996. From past experience (and preference), we knew that he could handle the server-side programming and I could handle the client-side issues. In addition, I took responsibility as "team leader" since the artist and sound guys (when we found ''em) would have to report to me. We didn''t find an artist (a 19 year old college student) until summer, 1997, and the sound guy didn''t show up until the middle of 1998.

If we had waited until the team was fully assembled before starting, it would''ve been a long time starting. As it was, by the time each new team member joined, we had worked out what it was we actually needed from them.

Do what you can with what you have. If you just keep plugging away at it you''ll be amazed at what you can accomplish, even on limited means.

DavidRM
Samu Games
I recently partnered up with a beginner C++ programmer and we''re working together just fine. It''s just me him, and a computer screen. We''re making alot of headway in our project that just started a few days ago. It took us about a day to decide what we wanted to do, and how we would do it. (it''s a very basic low graphic game)

With that established we dove into coding the bugger. We almost have the foundation set, once it is, we''ll be on our way.

Just like what DavidRM, start small. A mustard seed grows to become a strong, fairly large tree.

Guardian Angel Interactive

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement