Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlamePixel

Custom Cursor?

FlamePixel    122
I would like the cursor to show in my fullscreen DirectX 8 program. If possible, I would like to load the cursor from an external source (bmp, jpg, ect...). I would appreciate any information on this subject. Thank you for your time.

adiash    187
Yep.
I haven''t tried it but m_pd3dDevice->ShowCursor( TRUE ), where m_pd3dDevice is a valid IDirect3DDevice9 interface should do the trick.
It''s all in the SDK documentation.

FlamePixel    122
It doesn''t seem to be working... It should go in my Init code after I create the IDirect3DDevice8 object, right? Does it matter what WindowClass.hCursor is? Currently, I''ve set it to NULL.

adiash    187
Actually, I don''t think that putting it in init will do the job. You should put in the message loop in the handler of WM_SETCURSOR.
(from the SDK docs) :

case WM_SETCURSOR:
// Turn off window cursor

SetCursor( NULL );
m_pd3dDevice->ShowCursor( TRUE );
return TRUE; // prevent Windows from setting cursor to window class cursor

break;

GoofProg    127
Wow! That''s too easy! I remember making a surface for the cursor (2d sprite technique) and having to use directinput to handle it.. i guess Microsoft made a good wrapper for diectx since dx7

adiash    187
I think you still have to use directInput to capture the movement of the mouse and call SetCursorPosition.
Also, if you want a custom bitmap you still need to call SetCursorProperties and give it a pointer to a surface you created earlier.
The real question is :
why am I answering a question about something I know absolutely nothing about?

higherspeed    230
I always use exclusive mode for fullscreen, but that causes problems if my program crashes(which it often does). What should be used instead of exclusive mode? Surely there''s a better mode, that isn''t so.............exclusive.

Psybr    122
That''s odd. I always use DISCL_FOREGROUND|DISCL_EXCLUSIVE, and when my program crashes it just goes back to MSVC without problems.