Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neoteric

c++ arrays and constructors

Neoteric    122
Hello, I''m a c++ noob and I''m having trouble passing arrays to constructors or methods, I want to pass the whole array in, what should I be doing instead? e.g. UINT g_Texture[MAX_TEXTURES] = {0}; Model f_Model(&g_Texture[0]); Model::Model(UINT *g_Texture) { g_LoadObj.ImportObj(&g_3DModel, FILE_NAME); g_LoadObj.AddMaterial(&g_3DModel, "cloth", "cloth.bmp", 255, 255, 255); ... Thanks.

GoofProg    127
Model::Model(UINT g_Texture[])
{...
}

This will copy the array to the new g_Texture array
If you want to make it faster and you wanted to manipulate the original array, then just pass the address of the array

[edited by - GoofProg on July 5, 2003 5:44:03 PM]

BrianL    530
This is going to be a quick and dirty explanation written between compiles, so be sure to check for favorite c/c++ book on how pointers and arrays work.

One common way of passing an array is to pass a pointer to it, and an integer which stores the number of elements in the array. A pointer to an array is treated much like a pointer to a single element. For a single element, you assign the pointer by taking the address of the element:

UINT Texture;
UINT* pTexture = &Texture;

In the case of an array, you need to take the address of the first element, and store elsewhere the range of the pointer.

UINT Texture;
UINT* pTexture = &Texture[0];

From your example:

UINT g_Texture[MAX_TEXTURES];

Model.Model(&g_Texture[0], MAX_TEXTURES);

Model::Model(UINT* g_Texture, int nTextures)

chiuyan    122
GoofProg wrote "
Model::Model(UINT g_Texture[])
{...
}

This will copy the array to the new g_Texture array
If you want to make it faster and you wanted to manipulate the original array, then just pass the address of the array
"

huh?

what will copy what and why?

Neoteric    122
Thanks BrianL and Goofprog,

This might seem to not be the problem then, I was passing in the pointer to the first element as the objects aleady knew the size (bad practice I know but it's only temporary), my syntax must be tangled further down the line as it only deals with that first element I pass in.

EDIT: The debugger is apparently giving the error "Expression cannot be evaluated," but the address is still valid there are no errors when building.

[edited by - Neoteric on July 5, 2003 6:50:51 PM]