which sound api?

Started by
7 comments, last by lucinpub 20 years, 9 months ago
which would you use and why...fmod or openAL? [edit] or what positive/negative experiences have you had with either [/edit]
Lucas Henekswww.ionforge.com
Advertisement
FMod isn''t an API, it''s middleware. You should''ve asked whether DirectSound or OpeNAL was better or not.
Why don''t you just make your own? Direct Sound and Direct Music isn''t really that hard to learn. Once you have it built, all you need to do is revise it. Maybe it''s just me, I hate using libraries. If it''s not OpenGL or DirectX library, I wont use it. I would rather learn how it''s done...

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
OpenAL is pretty nice, i like it and it allows easy from-memory operations so I can load from packed files, which was pretty important to me.
I wrote a workable sound subsystem using DirectMusic in under 24 hours. Everything is extremely straight forward. You just need to RTM.

[edited by - haro on July 5, 2003 10:51:44 PM]
Audiere is awesome. No 3D sound stuff yet, but everything else is there, and the API is excellent.

I''m hip because I say "M$" instead of "MS".
"There is only one everything"
i know i can roll my own using directsound, thats not what i asked...
my project isn't necessarily windows specific either
edit:
and im not asking which is better, i am specifically looking for experiences you have had working with either, whether you liked the way the interface is defined etc...

[edited by - lucinpub on July 7, 2003 8:17:16 AM]
Why not spend a measly hour trying both, then choose which you prefer?

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book
i have been, but this is work related, and getting second opinions is worthwhile, especially with the experience of some of the members here being far more vast than mine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement