Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OpenGL Game Programming

This topic is 5277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me if this book is worth getting, or are there better books about OpenGL to go and blow $50 bucks on?
-- M I S F I T S --

Get it. I just bought it Monday and I''ve been reading through it since. But if you don''t understand any part of it (probably the Win32 programming in chapter 2) re-read it until you do. Also, you make a game at the end of it.

There''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.

<< Would anyone be kind enough to tell me if this book is worth getting >>

I think it''s fantastic to get you started with OpenGL quickly. You gotta know C/C++ first though or it could be difficult. The sound chapter is a little too complex for me. I figured out how to use DirectSound with dsutil.h dsutil.cpp from DirectX 6. I do straight C style function calls for the sound, couldn''t be easier. I plan on using that when I start some OpenGL projects.

FMOD I heard is another simple way to add sound to your games. No "parsing" of WAV files required, but its good to know that stuff. It''s explained in the Sound/Music chapter in that OpenGL book.

DirectSound Demo C Source

DirectSound Demo EXE

Phil P

Get it. You might have read my cranky review, but that was before I took my medicine. Anyways, it is a great book, and I''m on part 2 and loving it.

Scott Simontis
Engineer in Training
Have a nice day!