Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ekim_Gram

Here's a tip for all of you whole are still learning

Ekim_Gram    418
If you don''t understand something that you are going over while learning a language - re-read what you don''t understand. And not just the portion that confuses you. Read the whole chapter over, it may seem kind of pointless but trust me, it works like a charm. I just began the OpenGL Game Programming book and when I finished the second chapter which covered Win32 programming, I had no idea what it all meant. So I re-read it and now I got a little bit more of an understanding. This is a good method to use when you don''t understand something. It may seem pointless or a waste of time but the most common excuse for not doing it is "I''ll do it later" DON''T LEAVE IT OFF FOR LATER. If you do you''ll just keep on getting lost and getting deeper and deeper into the problem that you have got. I just thought I''d share that with you guys.
There''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.

TheFiend    122
Thanks for the insite. It''s moved me...lol. Thanks though, really. It''s a good point, and I completely agree (but I can''t say I always practice what I preach). Anyway, thanks for that blurb.

-- M I S F I T S --

FtMonkey    122
Heh nice advice I do I agree on the fact that leaving things for tomorrow won''t get you anywhere. Anyways thanks for the post I think it changed my life o_O...nah not really.

The monkeys are listening...

Well, I''ll have to agree with Ekim. No matter if it''s programming, graphic design, a tutorial, economics - just re-read it until it makes sense. I had to read a chapter last night on the Fed about four times before it started to make sense just where the hell nine-thousand dollars just appeared from - and I''m pretty intelligent.

So re-read before you post. Granted, it''s easier to ask someone or to copy code... but you don''t learn the material and you won''t remember it.

But, you don''t have to listen to me. I don''t have any control over you.

-geo
red eye is coming back (the old site is still around, albeit in a weird transitional form)

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Ekim_Gram
Here''s a tip for all of you who are still learning

Since when does anyone stop learning?

Caroline_M    181
If possible, try re-reading the subject that you''re having trouble with from a different source, as often an explanation given by somebody else can make it suddenly become crystal clear. So to that end, it''s useful to have more than one book / reference handy.

Caroline M.

zfod    122
quote:
Original post by Caroline_M
If possible, try re-reading the subject that you're having trouble with from a different source, as often an explanation given by somebody else can make it suddenly become crystal clear. So to that end, it's useful to have more than one book / reference handy.

Caroline M.

This is my methodology as well. Having multiple explanations can deepen your understanding on things you thought you understood pretty well, in addition to things you're trying to learn.

The more the merrier.

.zfod

[edited by - zfod on July 7, 2003 1:49:49 AM]