• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to pronounce C++

This topic is 5427 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Read the Bjarne Stroustrup faq posted above. C increment was a little joke that poked fun at it.

Michael Bartman
CEO, Lead Programmer
Dark Omen Studios
http://www.darkomenstudios.com/

quote:
Original post by Joe-Bob
Actually, I think that C++ MEANS C Increment, but it''s still pronounced Sea Plus Plus.

Its a play on words with the name. C++ is essential the next increment in the C language, and C++ is incrementing the C variable by 1 (given that C is an integer type, which for here we will assume it is).

It kinda goes together, hand in hand, the way I see it.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

Guest Anonymous Poster
That would be "Sea Post-Incemented"

quote:
Original post by PhilVaz
Oh no, I remember a 2 billion post thread on this just a couple months ago. I''ll try to find it.

It''s "See Plus Plus" not "See Addition Addition"

That''s nothing. Now figure out how to pronounce

Bjarne Stroustrup

Phil P

[edited by - PhilVaz on July 6, 2003 4:16:41 AM]

What''s the problem with that?? ;-P

However.. I use to call it: ++C :-)

Since C++ uses the post increment operator... does that mean it''s still C and will be advanced after the current step is complete? Dang, I don''t want to wait for the next release...

quote:

And from what I understand, C# is "sea sharp", not "sea pound" or "sea tic-tac-toe".

Nope. C# is actually pronounced ''c hash''. As in ''cash''. As in Micro$oft

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Wildfire
Since C++ uses the post increment operator... does that mean it''s still C and will be advanced after the current step is complete? Dang, I don''t want to wait for the next release...

Urrmm.. actually it means create a temporary with the value of C, increment C then return the temporary. So the advancement is done before the current step is complete.

i.e. "somefunc( C++ );" will advance C before calling the func but the temporary variable will be passed instead of the new value.

Pete

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!