Programming Memorization

Started by
16 comments, last by MarpleSoft 20 years, 9 months ago
I would like to program with directx, i read many books and understand how it all works and how it''s all ut together, but there is just one problem ...memorization. I cannot remember all funtions, parameters, and so on. So what do i use? msdn online library?
Advertisement
Indeed. It is near impossible to remember all the functions that are out there. On-line references are usefull when coding, allthough I would really advice you to invest into several good books.
yes, i have several books that i have read, my 2 favorite one that i still use are "sams teach yourself visual c++ 6 in 24 hours" and "sams tricks of the windows game programming gurus" which are outstanding books for beginners and advanced programmers.
Memorization will come after time, just keep at it and eventually you''ll remember the stuff you use the most.
One thing you must know is that it is impossible to memorize things without using them.

Keep references at hand, when I find good reference files such as Win32API''s and DirectX''s, I put them in a directory where it will be easy to access.

DirectX and Win32API references are very precious files... DirectX''s is located in SDK doc subdirectory. Win32API reference help file is available when you install VisualStudio6.0... you must specify it tough.

Oooh, you found the horadric nuke!
Did you know, that by using a horadric nuke, you can blow up Diablo and solve all our problems!
Editor42 ...builds worlds
When dealing with the win32 API and DirectX, I''ve found computer-based documentation many many times more useful than book documentation. In fact, the vast majority of "computer books" are useless.

- Andy Oxfeld
what type of computer-based documentation? like msdn? does anyone else know any other computer-based documentation besides msdn?
quote:Original post by AndyOxfeld
When dealing with the win32 API and DirectX, I''ve found computer-based documentation many many times more useful than book documentation. In fact, the vast majority of "computer books" are useless.

- Andy Oxfeld

I don''t think computer books are useless : the nice thing about having a computer book is that you don''t have to be at your computer to read them. Books are much more in-depth on their subject too, which is usually a good thing to have (except in the case of having a win32 and directx primer in an intermediate-advanced book).
quote:Original post by MarpleSoft
what type of computer-based documentation? like msdn? does anyone else know any other computer-based documentation besides msdn?
Yes, MSDN is your friend. Also, the DX documentation is installed along with the SDK, and for Win32 stuff there''s a handy help file available at http://win32asm.cjb.net/, although it''s old (covers Win95 and NT4), it''s quite helpful for looking up functions. I''m sure there is a newer one available somewhere, though.

"For crying out loud, she has fishes coming out of her head on either side. How can you find this hot?!"

"If anyone sees a suspicious, camouflaged factory being carried across the desert, they should report it immediately."
If you use DirectX alot you''ll start remembering more and more of it.
Patrick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement