to Yann L strange question

Started by
29 comments, last by rhesus 20 years, 9 months ago
you are doing the engine for a game but why dont you replace the existing rendering engine with ogre. ignore that there is no reason for this (ogre being only a rendering engine without collision detection sound etc) but say how you expect it would function.
Red Faction2 and Deus Ex2 NEVER AGAIN
Advertisement
quote:Original post by rhesus
you are doing the engine for a game but why dont you replace the existing rendering engine with ogre. ignore that there is no reason for this (ogre being only a rendering engine without collision detection sound etc) but say how you expect it would function.

Like any better idea.Yann''s engine will have no problem to knockout that dumm Ogre engine.Besides to use other people''s work in something shows the lack of experience of you.Now hard to write that all by yourself...if you only try...

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR
From what I''ve seen and read Yann uses a lot of algorithms and methods that might look "exotic" when compared to the ones used in general engines such as Ogre. I think their game uses all features of the engine, and other engines probably don''t provide these (unless you code them in...).

ToohrVyk

yes the idea is bad i know that but i wait interested what he says about it... but using other peoples work does not show lack of experience, hmm libaries? OPENGL? hah not even the most simple programs are fully self written...

[edited by - rhesus on July 6, 2003 12:30:42 PM]
quote:Original post by rhesus
yes the idea is bad i know that but i wait interested what he says about it... but using other peoples work does not show lack of experience, hmm libaries? OPENGL? hah not even a the most simple programs are fully self written...

You get me wrong here.I mean stuff like the Nehe base code,other peoples BMP/TGA loaders and such junk.

I think my stance on using 'other peoples code' is clear: if it makes you more productive, and if licensing conditions are clear, then using libraries is a good thing. If you want to learn, you'd better code everything yourself. That's good to gain experience. But in production code, reinventing the wheel is not a good idea. A good programmer is not only defined by how well he can reinvent everything, but even more by how well he can reliably combine existing support code and libraries with his own.

And about my engine: well, no publicly available engine I am aware of (neither free nor commercial) offered the features and performance characteristics we needed. Ergo: we did our own. Ogre is a nice engine, nothing against it, but it wans't up to our requirements.

On the other hand, if Ogre/Torque engine/etc fit your needs, then use them. Unless you really want to write a 3D engine, especially as a learning experience, using third party engines will definitely speed up your production process. In our game, we also use lots of third party libs: zlib, libjpeg, Vorbis, OpenGL, OpenAL, etc. No need to rewrite everything.

quote:
You get me wrong here.I mean stuff like the Nehe base code,other peoples BMP/TGA loaders and such junk.

Well, you know, if you are writing a full featured commercial grade 3D engine, then you'll have other problems than some base code or image loader And it becomes even harder to actually use other peoples code in your own, because it will probably not fit into your system skeleton. Making it fit will almost always require more time than writing your own, and is far less reliable. Exception are well established libraries, of course.

[edited by - Yann L on July 6, 2003 12:57:41 PM]
my code is a bad mess and the compiler always complains about something which i then try to correct so i am staying out of those things. lol
How is OpenAL working out for you? It looks a bit... spare compared to DirectSound. While the simple API is definitely nice, it seems like it may be too simple -- and I thought it wasn''t being developed anymore?

Sorry, just curious as I was toying around with working on a sound system. I really wanted to go with OpenAL, but DirectSound just looks so much more flexible and powerful (though more cost in time to implement a system on top of).
quote:

Original post by Yann L

Well, you know, if you are writing a full featured commercial grade 3D engine, then you''ll have other problems than some base code or image loader And it becomes even harder to actually use other peoples code in your own, because it will probably not fit into your system skeleton. Making it fit will almost always require more time than writing your own, and is far less reliable. Exception are well established libraries, of course.

It''s ok with me i''m not using outer junks anyway.We''re coding the stuff for our engine completely by ourselfs and were glad with it.Just want to say something to lazy programmers.Like doing your own system to run the API will take you a lilie bit more time than to use the outer junks but it will teach you a LOT more.Of course one shoud only know how to link to a library and include a header or two

Yann - I''ve been away for a couple of months, what''s the latest on your game? Last I heard the engine was done and you were using it for non-game software to get money to publish the game. Any change? Have you thought about licensing your engine out by any chance?

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor

John 3:16

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement