Chris Crawford's book?

Started by
22 comments, last by Impossible 20 years, 8 months ago
I was looking through Chris Crawford''s book last night and it looked pretty good. However, the only review on this site (by Draconus) is a half a star... Has anyone checked out this title and if so what do you think? I''m torn between Andrew Rollings and Earnest Adams book and Crawford''s book. So far I''m leaning toward Crawford''s book, but there have been plenty of titles that looked good when I was browsing them and turned up to be garbage overall.
Advertisement
I have only recently bought the Crawford book and have read about 6 pages; not enough to give you an adequated description or for that matter a proper review.

But, I will offer this advice... with the limited amount of printed material that describes/details or merely touches on the subject of game design - you probably cannot afford not to read the book. If you are serious about game design... if you want to gain knowledge of the craft why not get it from someone such as CC?

I have the first Rollings book and can tell you that it covers more than merely game design - it discusses the entire gambit of game development from coding practices to the proper atire for a game company... I think, at least from my understading, that the Crawford book is specific to game design.

I''ll be sure to post my review on this site when I finish the read.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Thanks. I can''t wait to read your review. I may end up getting the book anyway, but books do cost money . I have the first Rollings Book (got it for $20 used), and it''s good. Some of the parts (especially in the game design section) have outdated, extremely opinionated or just wrong information that gets on my nerves, and the team management chapter is currently of limited use for me, but the architecture chapters were really good. The new Rollings\Adams book and Crawford''s book seem to get away from the bias and opinions these authors often have about the game industry and focus purely on game design techniques, which is a good thing in a technical book. I''ll probably end up buying Crawford''s book and Game Coding Complete.
Just a quick follow up... I had a chance to read the first four chapters of the book - while waiting at the BMV (getting my license plates)... I would not say that this book is free of any of Crawford’s bias... it''s littered with it but so far at a tolerable frequency. My problem is that I''m not 18 and have already discovered my political affiliation/point of view and unfortunately mine are on the other side of political fence from Chris... but that’s ok - I can still appreciate his point of view and his undeniable expertise... only 22 chapters to go

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Liked it. Can see where it may not be so useful to experienced interactive designers, but his POV of the whole subject, his description of the process was worth it to me.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

his old but still relevant book the art of computer game design is available on the web for free. (on html)
I found the "art of computer game design" to be pretty much worthless, especially now. It contains such gems as "Game-playing requires two things: a game and a player." Thanks, Chris.
I read the book - can''t say I agreed with much of it. His political views are polar opposites to mine, and his including them wrecked the book for me.
http://edropple.com
quote:Original post by Lysander
It contains such gems as "Game-playing requires two things: a game and a player." Thanks, Chris.

ROFL.

.zfod

I don't know why you guys let his political view play such a role in why or why not you liked it. I'll admit, I am probably even further left then Chris Crawford, but it is a game about Game Design, not politics. So what if he talks about games that involve not using military force, big frickin' whoop. Anyway, I think that this is a very invalueable book, and should be read by anyone interested in changing the face of game design.

[edited by - bigwiger on July 31, 2003 2:10:54 AM]
Disgruntled designers are always the best ones

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement