Are there any good websites that will help educate/expand my drawing skills?

Started by
4 comments, last by spearson69 20 years, 9 months ago
I haven''t drawn in a while, but I do have some talent, and would like to get back into it. Do you guys have any good references to websites or books or anything that will help develop my skills?
Advertisement
This place has some good anatomy referance and more if thats what your looking for.
http://www.fineart.sk/anat.htm
who stole my signature
hmm, I don''t think I am ready for that yet, I am just looking to refresh myself with basic techniques. But I will keep that page for future reference.
If you haven''t learned to do this yet, you''ll want to learn how to see like an artist. Two good books for teaching you this are Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards and The Natural Way to Draw by Kimon Nicolaides. They both show you how to stop looking at things with your left-brain, which reduces things to symbols, and to start looking with your right-brain, which sees every detail. Doing this is the first step you want to take when learning to draw. Maybe you have already.

After that you just need to draw. Draw everything you see. Keep on drawing all the time from life and you''ll improve your skills. Something to go along with this is to do studies of things. Studying human anatomy will most likely be something you''ll want to do. Get a book on anatomy for artists and go to figure drawing classes. You can choose to make a study of anything else you want, the more the better. All of this will help you with drawing from your imagination as well.

Something else you''ll want to think about is the way you put down a line and marks with your pencil. This is something I''m struggling with myself so I can''t really offer any advice.

Study famous artist whose drawings you like. Find out how they made their drawings and then you can apply that to your own art.

That''s my advice for right now. Also check out conceptart.org. You can find some inspirational art there and you can also learn from the people there.
excellent, thanks mtw
conceptart is good site. You might also check out www.polykarbon.com. Nice tuts, great forum for feed back on drawing for other artists.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement