What do I need

Started by
4 comments, last by SigSeg 20 years, 9 months ago
I see tutorials, I see messages, I see demo''s, I see source code, but none of it really explains certain concepts behind OpenGL and 3D modeling, a must for taking the first step into development. I have written small utilities, data converters, CGI scripts, web tools, network utilities, tons of that novice admin stuff that any linux admin would know and apply. I have never really done anything that crosses the line between tool/utility and application, although some have come pretty close. There''s this sort of precursor to OpenGL that I''m missing, something everyone else takes for granted. I''m the guy that doesn''t go to college, likes to play games, LOVES to write programs, and has only tinkered with 3D modeling. Does this sound like anyone else? Does this sound like anyone else 3 months, 6 months, a year ago? What do I need to do now? I want to write a game, perhaps not as complicated as, but similar to Warcraft/Command & Conquer genre RTS. Is this even feasable for 1 person to do? I saw the size of the development teams for those games, they were outragous. Thanks! ERROR (1) SIGSEG RECIEVED
ERROR (1) SIGSEG RECIEVED
Advertisement
Try locating a copy of the OpenGL Programming Guide and reading it from the start. It''s got a whole load of useful info.

Intel also have a very good 3D primer.

http://www.intel.com/technology/3d/docs/

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book
Find "The Red Book". It is Silicon Graphics'' manual for using OpenGL. It can be found at most bookstores. There is also "The Blue Book", which is the reference book, but that only has technical information. Now, to move onto another step of 3D programming, pick up "OpenGL Game Programming". It will show some advanced 3D stuff and how to write game stuff. A very good start, though, are Nehe''s tutorials. If you can understand those, that will be all you need. What it sounds like you are saying is that you need all this extra stuff to do 3D, like model editors, MFC, QuakeIII Arena.... you don''t. If you have even a limited understanding of 3D, you can write your own utilities to make 3D models in your own formats. 3D should be simple. Don''t get held back by all the "extra" stuff.

"Donkey, if it were me, you''d be dead."
I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
"Donkey, if it were me, you'd be dead."I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
And if you hate Windows, download the GLUT toolkit. It makes rendering OpenGL in Windows super easy! It handles window creation, input, all the annoying stuff Windows takes forever to make. It''s what is used in "The Red Book".

"Donkey, if it were me, you''d be dead."
I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
"Donkey, if it were me, you'd be dead."I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
There is a wealth of knowledge in the red book and is a must read to understand 3d concepts. The red book explains everything in great detail which many other books assume you should know.

Even for pros, if you havent read it, the red book has alot of useful tips and knowledge.
You can download The Red Book here.
Thought this might help.

EDIT: Might be outdated, but still helpful.

-- M I S F I T S --

[edited by - TheFiend on July 7, 2003 2:40:08 PM]
-- M I S F I T S --

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement