My Milkshape reader is a little confused!

Started by
5 comments, last by stew 20 years, 9 months ago
Hi all, I''m having a problem reading in MS3D models. I haven''t actually tried rendering the models and animating, all I have at the moment is a reader that writes the model info out to a text file so it might actually be ok...sort of. Anyway, all the data reads in fine until I get to the joints. Then when it reads in the joint names it reads in garbage so like I said that could be the only problem and all the keyframe joint matrices might actually read in ok. But I was wondering if this has been found by anyone else before, i.e. has the file format changed from the format specs of version 4? I''m using MS3D v1.65. Thanks
Advertisement
I''m running into a similar problem myself. The NeHe tutorial code seems to work great with the model provided. However, when I create one myself or save the old model in the newer file format, the textures don''t work. Does anyone know where I might find the specs on the new file format?

-Doug
Or what? You'll send the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees and when they bark they shoot bees at you?
So the NeHe code has the same problem, *bugger!*

I wrote my own from the specs in the sdk and since it doesn't work I was hoping the NeHe tute would provide some insight why...oh well.

[edited by - stew on July 7, 2003 9:22:18 PM]
It''s been a while since I wrote my MS3D code but IIRC a problem I had with joints was because the spec put the joint after the rotation/translation while it really is BEFORE the rotation/translation struct.

About the textures, there''s many possible issues with MS3D. For one, the texture paths are absolute in version 1.4.x and relative in 1.5.x . Also, in MS3D the t texture coordinates have to be inverted.
Hi,

Thanks for the info Dark Rain, I got it going by following your post. I''ve actually decided to write my own exporter anyway but it is nice to be able to read in the MS3D models in their native format.

Thanks again
Stew
One problem I had with MS3d was that in Visual Studio, I had to use the #pragma pack(1) directive to stop the compiler from padding bytes

I dunno if this has anything to do with your problem
Yes, I forgot that! It''s extremely important to pack the structures with the pragma directive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement