KDE vs. Gnome: your experiences.

Started by
16 comments, last by CoffeeMug 20 years, 9 months ago
Essentially I made the decision to start with KDE based on the programming frameworks. IMO there is currently no reason to use C for *anything* except for backwards compatibility with pre-C++ applications. Since Gnome chose to use C I think it''s a reasonable assumption that Gnome''s architects'' philosophy is different from my own. Hence, KDE.

On a different note, KDE takes a damn long time to compile... Hopefully I can have a nice desktop by the end of the night.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by CoffeeMug
Since Gnome chose to use C I think it''s a reasonable assumption that Gnome''s architects'' philosophy is different from my own. Hence, KDE.

There are really nice C++ ''wrappers'' for all of the GTK+ and Gnome libraries (the wrappers are often argued to be "better than Qt and KDE at being C++-like", and from what I''ve seen, I tend to agree). Eventually, try both, pick what you like, of course .

quote:Original post by -vic-
Hmm... well, there are plenty at kde-look.org.

Most of them suck. I was hoping people could recommend their favorites.

If you think those sucks... err.. don''t know where you''ll find better ones.

Victor.

c[_]~~

Victor.

Not that this has to do with me, but just to clarify, he was asking you to narrow it down for him, I don''t think he was saying every single one of those suck, just that there''s a lot of crap to pick through.

quote:Original post by atcdevil

Victor.

Not that this has to do with me, but just to clarify, he was asking you to narrow it down for him, I don''t think he was saying every single one of those suck, just that there''s a lot of crap to pick through.

Well, go to kde-look and select "Highest Rated" and you''ll see the more popular ones.

Victor.
c[_]~~
I was just asking which one''s your favorite...
I use(d) Gnome because it''s GNU software to boost my ePenis. I tried KDE too, but I found them pretty much equal, I didn''t like Konqueror though.

I like supporting GNU
I''m a KDE man myself. Gnome is better theme wise but My favorite happend to ship with Mandrake 9.1 for KED. Most add on themes seam not to work correctly for me under KDE. Dispite this the Multi background feature that KDE has is a personal must have. Its somthing I wanted for a long time and now exist in KDE. Out side of the visuals I always end up in KED for the features in the file browser. It does a number of things you cant do in Gnome. I do think Gnome is great and I wouldn''t hate on anyone for using it. In fact I realy hate to have to choose between them, but I must. KED for me.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement