Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

template friend operators

This topic is 5276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

well i recently switched to Visual Studio .Net 2003 from VS5, and since it's a lot more standard-compliant its a bit differently behaving in regards to templates, and now i just dont get friend operators of templated classes to run anymore. i have this code:
template < class T > class Pointer_to_const
{
	friend bool operator==( Pointer_to_const<T> const &, Pointer_to_const<T> const & );
};
template < class T > bool operator== ( Pointer_to_const<T> const &op1, Pointer_to_const<T> const &op2 )
{
      // ... access some protected members of Pointer_to_const

}
but this gives me error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "bool __cdecl operator==(class Pointer_to_const< int > const &,class Pointer_to_const< int > const &)" (when testing a pointer to int) if i make it a normal function i get the same error, but when i change the friend declaration to friend bool f< T > ( Pointer_ ... ); it works. but how do i do this with operators?? a friend bool operator== < T > ( ... ) just produces some more errors. so how do you declare those operators as friends? or isn't this possible anymore with the current standard? ( i had hoped to find the solution to my problem by looking at how the STL does it, but it uses either member-operators or the operators call public compare functions, no friend operators to find) any help would be appreciated of course Edit: fixed the < > tags

Inline the friend function definition in the class body.

template < class T > class Pointer_to_const
{
friend bool operator==( Pointer_to_const<T> const &,
Pointer_to_const<T> const & )
{
return true;
}
};

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

[edited by - Fruny on July 7, 2003 9:52:34 AM]