template friend operators

Started by
1 comment, last by Burning_Ice 20 years, 9 months ago
well i recently switched to Visual Studio .Net 2003 from VS5, and since it's a lot more standard-compliant its a bit differently behaving in regards to templates, and now i just dont get friend operators of templated classes to run anymore. i have this code:

template < class T > class Pointer_to_const
{
	friend bool operator==( Pointer_to_const<T> const &, Pointer_to_const<T> const & );
};
template < class T > bool operator== ( Pointer_to_const<T> const &op1, Pointer_to_const<T> const &op2 )
{
      // ... access some protected members of Pointer_to_const

}
but this gives me error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "bool __cdecl operator==(class Pointer_to_const< int > const &,class Pointer_to_const< int > const &)" (when testing a pointer to int) if i make it a normal function i get the same error, but when i change the friend declaration to friend bool f< T > ( Pointer_ ... ); it works. but how do i do this with operators?? a friend bool operator== < T > ( ... ) just produces some more errors. so how do you declare those operators as friends? or isn't this possible anymore with the current standard? ( i had hoped to find the solution to my problem by looking at how the STL does it, but it uses either member-operators or the operators call public compare functions, no friend operators to find) any help would be appreciated of course Edit: fixed the < > tags
Advertisement
Inline the friend function definition in the class body.

template < class T > class Pointer_to_const{   friend bool operator==( Pointer_to_const<T> const &,                           Pointer_to_const<T> const & )   {      return true;   }};

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

[edited by - Fruny on July 7, 2003 9:52:34 AM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
thanks, that solves it
guess it''s just not possible to have clean looking templated class interfaces

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement