The Infamous Alt-Tab Problem!

Started by
15 comments, last by FlamePixel 20 years, 9 months ago
I know the alt-tab problem has been addressed before, but the search function of this forum does not seem to be working... Can someone give me a link?
Advertisement
The search does work sometimes, it's just really slow, so it helps to narrow it right down. Although I'd be interested in a link too, although not interested enough to search one out myself

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1249.asp

Oh well I have found one, although I'm not sure I like the multithreading method used.

[edited by - higherspeed on July 7, 2003 10:01:45 AM]
Also, entering a search string ending with a space causes an internal error.

Users Beware .

Sirob Yes.»
Footman, at large.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Exactly what is the problem you want to solve? Taking care about the graphics when returning from windows desktop or preventing alt-tab? If it is the latter I would advice against it. There is a way to stop that in NT (not counting the various ways to stop it for win9x/Me you can find on google) but I would no recommend it, infact I will not even mention it because if the computer crashes you could end up not being able to log back on.

No no no no! :)
I don''t want to prevent the user from pressing Alt-Tab, I just want my window to show correctly when the user returns to it. I am using the WS_POPUP style in a fullscreen DX8 App
Ok, I will try and keep it simple, if you can't follow me now you are welcome to head over to my own forum and ask me more there.

When you are using alt-tab all the resources on the graphics card are destroyed. That means is you have vertex buffers etc... you will need to recreate them. Textures etc... are also destroyed unless you are using textures from systemmemory or if they are managed in which case they will restore themselves. If not, it means you will have to release the textures and recreate them.

You test if the device is lost when you are about to update the screen, if it is, then you release the backbuffer and other textures etc...

Then you keep trying to see if the device is not reset. when you get that message it means that you now can recreate them and load the surfaces again. Then you reset the device first, then recreate the textures etc... and now things should work for you.

Hope this helps.

[edited by - MichaelT on July 7, 2003 12:05:21 PM]
I do have a few questions. Which forum is your forum?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it

[edited by - FlamePixel on July 7, 2003 1:53:09 PM]
Hey, anyone know how to stop direct show / direct music from buzzing when you alt-TAB the program under Windows XP?
I put up a sample for restoring ALT-TAB and using D3DXSprite on my site. You will find it in the forum under DirectX9

The link is below.

quote:Original post by FlamePixel
I do have a few questions. Which forum is your forum?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it

[edited by - FlamePixel on July 7, 2003 1:53:09 PM]

I moved your topic to the DirectX section I put up.
You can find the posts there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement