Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snakekain

shall i use directx9 as a beginner

snakekain    122
i need to program a game and that''s urgent so i need your experience to tell me whether to use directx or opengl which is faster and stronger thanks for advance.

If you don't know either, I doubt you'll finish a game that is needed "urgently". These take time to learn, and even more time to become familiar enought with them to be able to mold a game. You may want to try your hand at some engines, as they *should* decrease your development time.

--Vic--

The future of 2D game development:
Flat Red Ball

[edited by - Roof Top Pew Wee on July 7, 2003 10:06:46 AM]

evolutional    1393
As RT said, I doubt you''d be able to code a game well if it''s urgent and know neither APIs.

As far as I''m aware, they''re both similar in ''strength'' and ''speed'' provided your graphics card has the most up-to-date drivers and indeed supports full implementations of both standards.

The speed of games nowadays tends to come from the efficiency in using these APIs and how quickly it can handle it''s own internal environments.

I''ve personally chosen DirectX, simply because that''s what I wanted to use, however it does seem as if OpenGL has better tutorials.

snakekain    122
Thanks for your answers i decided to use directx9 and i began to learn it it''s easy (not very easy) but i got a lot of ideas i can''t use engines based on directx and if don''t understand it ,right? and i can''t afford engines any way thanks for your replies again.

Nik02    4348
Some game engines are free, by the way...
Go ahead, and use them, but if you want to become a good programmer, i suggest picking either OGL or DX and coding your game from scratch.